Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remember EasyPeasy? Would you like it to live on?

Beans

Re: Remember EasyPeasy? Would you like it to live on?

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    I'll write to you some time tomorrow.
    Hi

I didn't receive anything. I'm available on jon.ramvi@geteasypeasy.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ramvi View Post
    Hi

I didn't receive anything. I'm available on jon.ramvi@geteasypeasy.com
    Sorry!

Would come back.

Ch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

It was upgraded nicely up to Oneiric, and after that there was/is a little trouble. This is really fast, and now I am wondering why our "devs" keep on making new DEs and make everything slow.

Unity works with Gnome 3 and if not for Gnome 3, this EasyPeasy would be alive today.
    Yes, I have serious questions about the ideas of the devs, who produce slower DEs!

If I forget that there is a Precise built and further builds, Quantal and Raring, I can happily stay back with Oneiric, Natty or even Lucid. Who is going to tell me that I can't install the latest Chrome/Chromium or Firefox?

I think the devs are wasting time re-doing DEs/WMs, rather than making the well used DEs/WMs better! I think this "development" is all about money.
    While no one can force you not to use an unsupported distro, I'd advise having a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/usn. I am no security expert, but hey, some people still use Windows 95, the question is, can EasyPeasy do better then that?

PS: Don't want people whining about UIs here? Don't start it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    While no one can force you not to use an unsupported distro, I'd advise having a look at http://www.ubuntu.com/usn. I am no security expert, but hey, some people still use Windows 95, the question is, can EasyPeasy do better then that?

Who is whining?
    Do you have anything to say about EasyPeasy?

Did you notice that all these menus/launchers is a fancy link to /usr/share/applications?
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 4th, 2012 at 04:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post

Who is whining?
    That's been dealt with.

Beans

After receiving a reminder from Jon Ramvi, the creator of EasyPeasy, I decided to take Easy Peasy for another try to bring it up to date from Lucid to Precise. And, it was a success!

To do that, I considered the EasyPeasy UI as a constant. It doesn't break, so it should be kept in its pristine way.

This is something I tell most of the developers; don't change a very well working application, just because it had been done years ago. Some, who had gone on to "develop" the excellent application had come out with a faulty one. Example, Gnome 3.

Ikey Doherty, who had made a excellent effort to keep the tested Gnome 2 had made a superb distribution--SolusOS!

Too bad, that he is with Debian, especially for the Ubuntu Remix users, but for that too, I found a way to get the ppas working in it. Too bad for the Mint users too, as he had moved away from the Mint team. The Mint team moved into Gnome 3 and struggling with Cinnamon and Mate, while the excellent Gnome 2 is still there--SolusOS 2 Alpha works without a hitch and much faster than any Mint.

Coming back to EasyPeasy, I kept the excellent UI as it is, but changed the base structure from Lucid to Precise. All the other applications were brought up to date. Firefox is 17 for example.

Now, this EasyPeasy can go on living until April 2017!

I made this for my wife's netbook, and I'd be using it too in my laptop and in the desktop.

Isn't Linux lovely?!

Good day!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good work. This is excellent. Thank you!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    Good work. This is excellent. Thank you!
    You can do that too!

First get your Lucid EasyPeasy updated and upgraded. Then, upgrade all the apps you like, add any you like. Then, change the repos to Precise and update and upgrade. Here, you have to be very careful, for if you do a dist-upgrade, Precise would delete the Ubuntu-Netbook, on which EasyPeasy is built, so it would be an upgrade. You may find some trouble, but using Synaptic and the Terminal, moving from one to the other, you'd get your upgraded base.

If, Jon would get his EasyPeasy UI adapted to the Precise (Unity) base, we'd not have that much trouble. Its tricky as Precise would want to uninstall the Ubuntu-netbook. But, once you get going, you'd have a new fully working EasyPeasy.

This Ubuntu-netbook has some strange dependencies, such as Alsa, and even Open Office.
    Also, install Remastersys, before you upgrade.

Happy experimenting!

Ch

PS: I'll place a screenshot in Community Cafe screenshot page. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12388849
    PS2: Once, you reload Synaptic, its better to go through all the apps you have, to see, whether you need any upgrade of them. Sometimes, you really don't need all the upgrades. There are lot of unwanted stuff, which you'd never use.
    Last edited by Chdslv; December 5th, 2012 at 10:10 AM.

Beans

I've got a current install on a asus eeepc 4g surf. I'm definitely enjoying it. Better than xubuntu (my go-to light distro of choice) for this machine.

Thoughts:
    - I didn't like the inclusion of open office. I like it, but it's a huge suite.
    - It'd be nice to choose which programs are installed during the installation. I can't remember the last time an install let me do this but it was a long time ago (slackware maybe)
    -including a way to edit menu size

Just some thoughts. I've got a battery issue to resolve (probably hardware problems) but I can test out whatever (but not a programmer) - lemme know.
    Last edited by superchar42; January 31st, 2013 at 09:31 PM.
    #!HP Envy Ubuntu 14.04 iBook G4 PPC - MintPPC from Debian Wheezy

Beans

After receiving a reminder from Jon Ramvi, the creator of EasyPeasy, I decided to take Easy Peasy for another try to bring it up to date from Lucid to Precise. And, it was a success!

To do that, I considered the EasyPeasy UI as a constant. It doesn't break, so it should be kept in its pristine way.

This is something I tell most of the developers; don't change a very well working application, just because it had been done years ago. Some, who had gone on to "develop" the excellent application had come out with a faulty one. Example, Gnome 3.

Ikey Doherty, who had made a excellent effort to keep the tested Gnome 2 had made a superb distribution--SolusOS!

Too bad, that he is with Debian, especially for the Ubuntu Remix users, but for that too, I found a way to get the ppas working in it. Too bad for the Mint users too, as he had moved away from the Mint team. The Mint team moved into Gnome 3 and struggling with Cinnamon and Mate, while the excellent Gnome 2 is still there--SolusOS 2 Alpha works without a hitch and much faster than any Mint.

Coming back to EasyPeasy, I kept the excellent UI as it is, but changed the base structure from Lucid to Precise. All the other applications were brought up to date. Firefox is 17 for example.

Now, this EasyPeasy can go on living until April 2017!

I made this for my wife's netbook, and I'd be using it too in my laptop and in the desktop.

Isn't Linux lovely?!

Good day!
    Hi Chdslv,
    I'm a complete newbie and am looking into partioning my Asus Eeepc 1000H (got it refurbished 3 and a half years ago at this point) so that it dual boots xp/ easypeasy. I plan on learning linux and teaching myself python on django.

It seems you recently helped update easy peasy--will that updated version be the one I get if I download easy peasy from www.geteasypeasy.com? If not, should I/where can I get your version?

Feel free to pass on any other suggestions about learning Ubuntu/ python if you have them

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast