Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netbeans doesn't recognize project folder

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Netbeans doesn't recognize project folder

I have several projects made in Netbeans 7.2 installed on Windows XP SP3. Last week I have installed Xubuntu 12.10 in the same machine (in a different partition), and on Xubuntu I also installed Netbeans 7.2. So far nothing went wrong and everything is running smoothly.

Now the problem I'm facing with is that not all the projects I've done in Netbeans on Windows are recognized by Netbeans on Xubuntu, it just doesn't recognize the project folder. Why is this happening, why are some of the projects recognized and others aren't recognized?

Another issue I'm dealing with is that when I click on 'Open Project' in Netbeans on Xubuntu, under the 'Look in' options none of my USB thumb drives appear, but I'm able to work with them in any other application of Xubuntu.

I would much appreciate any help that could cast a light on this two issues I'm dealling with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Netbeans doesn't recognize project folder

Let me first talk about how I program java. I installed Sun Java into the Ubuntu system so I can compile and run java from the Terminal. For NetBeans I have a JDK1.7_upadatexxx folder in my Home folder. That is also where I installed NetBeans 7.xx. The Home Folder installs are for two reasons:

[1] I can have multiple NetBeans, e.g. NetBeans for SE, EE and ME. (I like SE the best).
    [2] Installing java into Ubuntu file system creates issues with file permissions.

Some folks like having write/read protected program files. Personally, when I'm sweating code all I want to worry about is code and not files. You MAY have a file permission problem from Windows but java code files are Unicode text files. NOBODY has sodomized Unicode like Microsoft has. Microsoft is not international. Microsoft is localized.

Now, for your thumb drive (and this is not a NetBeans thingy). In NetBeans you 'Open Project'. You navigate all way the up to Root, e.g. '/', then '/media' and in that folder should be the name of your thumb drive.

On Windows7 you can inadvertently change a thumb drive from FAT32 into exFAT. exFAT is totally non-interchangeable with any other OS. When Win7 says to scan and fix errors on a thumb --> YOU SAY NO. FAT32 is the only format that can plug-n-play with other machines including cameras.

Hope that helps.
    "You don't do art because you want to, no, you do art because you have to." -- M. Buonarroti

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks a lot for you reply.

Regarding my second question I already had figure it out, but thanks anyway.

Regarding my first question, what you say just don't cast a light in my issue.

In my case both JDK and Netbeans are installed in Ubuntu system, but that doesn't seems to me to be what is causing it.

Also, after analyzing the files in some of the projects I didn't saw any differences regarding file permissions, between them, so that also doesn't seems to me to be what is causing it.

So, what can it be then? Any more thoughts?
    Last edited by slickymaster; November 14th, 2012 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Are you able to tar up one of the problem project directories and post it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay, here it is. Let us hope you'll be able to figure it out.

Beans
    Distro

I loaded that without any problem into NetBeans 7.0.1 which I installed from the Ubuntu 12.04 repository. nbproject/project.properties has a Windows path for application.splash, but I wouldn't expect that to prevent it loading.

I'm afraid I can't think why it wouldn't be working for you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm almost 100% sure that that application.splash windows path has nothing to do with it, but I can assure you that it's driving me completely nuts. I'm way beyond puzzled.

If I can't get a solution, all I have left is to rebuild the project using the same classes.

Thanks anyway, maybe someone else manages to cast a light in this mystery.
    Last edited by slickymaster; November 15th, 2012 at 12:57 AM. Reason: grammar

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by spjackson View Post
    I loaded that without any problem into NetBeans 7.0.1 which I installed from the Ubuntu 12.04 repository. nbproject/project.properties has a Windows path for application.splash, but I wouldn't expect that to prevent it loading.

I'm afraid I can't think why it wouldn't be working for you.
    Maybe you could do me a favour. Can you build this project and upload the jar here? The reason I'm asking this, it's because not even my project jar I'm able to run.
    Last edited by slickymaster; November 15th, 2012 at 10:16 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

To start with, I don't have org.pushingpixels.substance.api.skin.SubstanceGrap hiteLookAndFeel so I can't build it. Also, I thought you had several projects that wouldn't load into NetBeans. Don't you have the jars from when you were developing on XP, and if not, can't you build what you need on XP?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Alright, if you don't have Substance Look and Feel, there's no way you'll manage to build it, but that's not important.

And yes, I have the project's jars, obtained from the builds in XP, and in XP I'm able to run them as I'm able to open those projects in Netbeans, also. That's what is bugging me, why the hell everything is right with both the projects and the jars in XP and everything is wrong with them in Xubuntu.

Anyway I'll rewrite those projects again, now in the Netbeans I have in Xubuntu.

I was just trying to understand what could be the reasons causing this strange situation.

If you manage to remember a few more possible causes, please post them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast