Thread: Backup

Beans

Question Backup

How do I run Deja-dup Backup as root (put as simply as possible please) ? Thanks to all in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Backup

Hi ,
    Open a terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) and write
    Code:
    man deja-dup
    deja-dup has also a command line utility , so I assume you can start an immediately backup as root with sudo prefix in this command
    Code:
    deja-dup --backup
    But I never tested.

You have to be a little more specific about what you want to achieve. I guessed you want to backup something from root (/) folder. (but I'm not sure)

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    You have to be a little more specific about what you want to achieve. I guessed you want to backup something from root (/) folder. (but I'm not sure)
    Indeed. If you're trying to back up your entire system, I'm afraid you'll run into some trouble. I don't know that it's impossible, but Deja Dup was designed for easily backing up a user's /home folder.

I've found a great way to pseudo-back-up my system is to use Deja Dup to back up my /home and then use the "Sync between computers..." option in the Software Center to keep track of what packages I have installed. If something happens, I can do a fresh install, install the packages I had before, and extract my /home directory, and presto! (Exception: manually installed packages take a little more work.)
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

uless you plan file syncing then creating bit-by-bit image is probably best.

have a lok at Clonezilla or Redo backup (more friendly interface)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla