Thread: have virus, can i format only windows partition?

Beans

Arrow have virus, can i format only windows partition?

ok i run dual boot ubuntu and widows xp i just got a virus on my windows xp. is it possible to format only the windows xp partition leave the ubuntu intact and still have it work in a dual boot? previously, when i had a virus on my xp, i would format the whole drive and reinstall both ubuntu and windows xp and reconfigure everything and that was a pain in the butt since ubuntu was perfectly fine and i still had to reinstall programs, move files and take care of system even though it didn't have the virus.

so this time, can i just reformat windows xp partition, reinstall xp and programs and still have it work on dual boot? people told me that doing this will mess up the MBR and stuff. i don't know anything about that so can anyone tell me how this works?

i need help badly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: have virus, can i format only windows partition?

You should be able to. You will have to run grub after the install to pick up the windows install.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...tallingWindows should get you back up and running after reinstalling Windows. Your anti-virus software can't remove the malware?
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Yes, you can. After reinstalling Windows, the Windows bootloader will be installed and you will not be able to directly boot into your Ubuntu. Use a LiveUSB (or other Live Media) to boot into Ubuntu and reinstall Grub by typing commands into the terminal.

Beans

thanks alot, i love the ubunutu community so knowledgeable and helpful and this virus is too much so using malware scanners and combfix, rkill, etc didn't help much.

actually i have another question, there is no way for this virus to someone spread from my windows xp partition and affect ubuntu partition right?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jinjin View Post
    there is no way for this virus to someone spread from my windows xp partition and affect ubuntu partition right?
    Nope, Windows can't see the EXT partition being used by Ubuntu.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by jinjin View Post

actually i have another question, there is no way for this virus to someone spread from my windows xp partition and affect ubuntu partition right?
    In short No
    Ubuntu 18.04