Thread: Try to report frequent desktop freeze

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Try to report frequent desktop freeze

I tired to emulate that bug on:

Code:
    ventrical@ventrical-PY028AA-ABA-A1106N:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub (rev 04)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
    but no luck.

Linux ventrical-PY028AA-ABA-A1106N 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic #201210220428 SMP Mon Oct 22 08:37:05 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    ventrical@ventrical-PY028AA-ABA-A1106N:~$

Code:
    VinDSL Unity Debug Script 12.9.30 (vindsl.com) ~
    Current Date/Time: Fri Nov 16 18:12:40 EST 2012
    Distro Release: Ubuntu Raring Ringtail (development branch)
    Kernel Release: Linux 3.7.0-030700rc2-generic
    Unity Release: unity 6.10.0

OpenGL vendor string:   Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) 915G x86/MMX/SSE2
    OpenGL version string:  1.4 Mesa 9.0

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       yes

dpkg-query: package 'mesa-utils' is not installed and no information is available
    Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
    and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

Xserver Xorg Core Branch:
      Installed: 2:1.13.0-0ubuntu6

Tree Map of PCI Devices:
    -[0000:00]-+-00.0  Intel Corporation 82915G/P/GV/GL/PL/910GL Memory Controller Hub
               +-02.0  Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller
               +-1b.0  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller
               +-1c.0-[01]--
               +-1d.0  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1
               +-1d.1  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2
               +-1d.2  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3
               +-1d.3  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4
               +-1d.7  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller
               +-1e.0-[02]--+-01.0  VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6306/7/8 [Fire II(M)] IEEE 1394 OHCI Controller
               |            +-02.0  Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
               |            \-05.0  LSI Corporation V.92 56K WinModem
               +-1f.0  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge
               +-1f.1  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller
               +-1f.2  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller
               \-1f.3  Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller

Display Properties:
     lcd monitor:    Dell UltraSharp 1907FP (analog input)
      dimensions:    1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
      resolution:    96x96 dots per inch

ventrical@ventrical-PY028AA-ABA-A1106N:~$
    Last edited by ventrical; November 17th, 2012 at 12:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I am wondering if there is a power drop in your power supply. Should have at least 400watts. 250 will work.. but if it is refurbrished then that could present a hardware problem.
    The power is very shaky here, a number of power breaks each day, but I have a surge protector that also switches off, if the power gets too low. It is an old refurbished system. But anyhow that does not explain, why:
    • - It happens much more frequently in 13.04.
    • - It only happens, if I open the Dash while other windows are open under the dash.

It also happens under low cpu loads and less then 600MB used. So for me it looks like a software problem, parallel processing locking issue related to starting the dash? After the next freeze tomorrow, I could switch off multi threading in the BIOS and see what happens.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BertN45 View Post
    The power is very shaky here, a number of power breaks each day, but I have a surge protector that also switches off, if the power gets too low. It is an old refurbished system. But anyhow that does not explain, why:
    • - It happens much more frequently in 13.04.
    • - It only happens, if I open the Dash while other windows are open under the dash.

It also happens under low cpu loads and less then 600MB used. So for me it looks like a software problem, parallel processing locking issue related to starting the dash? After the next freeze tomorrow, I could switch off multi threading in the BIOS and see what happens.
    Actually my next followup was to be to check BIOS and see if multi-threading is *enabled*!.

On this current unit I am using (Dell Opti GX27G) , has Intel chip-set but it stopped running properly after Natty Narwahl. I beta tested in Oneric and it started to do exactly what you have described - with the freezy screen when opneing dash and random freezes. (There is a post somewhere in the older forums that are closed now.)

Of course this is a test machine and has been through the mill. The video graphics driver is just one step behind (obsoleted) and will not run Unity 3D but will run Unity 2D in Oneric. The problem with the Dell are the power supplies. After a time of use they are intermittently 'slow to start' . However I can run 3D graphics games with no problem so it seems like a software bug.

I really do hope it is only software bug. If you can assign more memory to video in BIOS ? try that ?

Let us know..

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Actually my next followup was to be to check BIOS and see if multi-threading is *enabled*!.

The problem with the Dell are the power supplies. After a time of use they are intermittently 'slow to start'.
    just a remark about power supplies I think all power supplies age especially the capacitors in it. My antique file server has a "external" 400 watt power supply now, because the old one could not handle the two disk anymore after 9 years of solid duty.

I am a little bit closer to writing a useful bug report. The error always occurs if I play music with Clementine taking a large part of the desktop. If I open the Dash the desktop freezes. I do not think it has anything to do with clementine, but everything with the dash software

If I switch off multi-threading everything works without any problem. So it is a parallel processing problem. An interesting problem I would call it in the past. I start with writing the bug for ubuntu-bug and open another one for Unity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BertN45 View Post
    just a remark about power supplies I think all power supplies age especially the capacitors in it. My antique file server has a "external" 400 watt power supply now, because the old one could not handle the two disk anymore after 9 years of solid duty.

I am a little bit closer to writing a useful bug report. The error always occurs if I play music with Clementine taking a large part of the desktop. If I open the Dash the desktop freezes. I do not think it has anything to do with clementine, but everything with the dash software

If I switch off multi-threading everything works without any problem. So it is a parallel processing problem. An interesting problem I would call it in the past. I start with writing the bug for ubuntu-bug and open another one for Unity.

Ahh.. it could be that the processor is not HT and not a Dual Core. Some processors will emulate a Dual Core in System Monitor when HT is enabled but that is not to say it represents a true Dual Core processor. I have units that have HT option but no HT processor.

So my followup is : what type of processor do you have under the hood?

regards,

ventrical

Beans
    Distro

No it is not dual core, it is an late model P-IV 3.2GHz and those models did support multi-threading with a single CPU. That multi-threading works, because I see the two CPU bars in conky move more or less independently. If a disable multi-threading, they move in sync as one would expect. So it is one CPU able to process two threads and changing threads, if the active thread has to wait for the cache to be reloaded. It is supposed to give a 10%-20% performance boost for the CPU, because the CPU does not have to wait for the cache to be reloaded. From a OS point of view, it is like having two processors.

I do not think the gods want me to report this bug, because a few minutes ago, while filing the bug, launchpad crashed on me. Time for me to buy a Presidente (local beer).
    Last edited by BertN45; November 18th, 2012 at 02:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro

How to report a desktop freeze:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+F2
    2. Log in and type
    3. sudo -s
    4. ubuntu-bug
    5. Answer all the question and keep the crash information.
    6. Copy the crash file to your home directory and add .crash to the name.
    7. Reload the system
    8. Start nautilus with sudo nautilus as root (permissions)
    9. Double click the .crash file and report the bug.

This time I used the sudo -s and I copied and saved the dump-file to my home directory in the CTRL+ALT+F2 mode. I think the last one is essential because also now the crash report disappeared from /tmp after re-loading Ubuntu. Appending the name with .crash is just to be able to start the bug-report by double clicking.
    Last edited by BertN45; November 18th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Bravo !

Regards...

Beans
    Distro

I filed the report, but it seems to be incomplete and again thet wanted me to ssh into the system using another linux system, I currently don't have. If I get these freezes again tomorrow, I will try to add the additional files to the bug-report. It should also be possible using CTRL+ALT+F2, using the same trick moving those to my home directory. It is about these files: the output of 'dmesg' and the /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_error_state

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12