Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I upgrade to 12.10 Quantal Quetzal?

Beans

Re: Should I upgrade to 12.10 Quantal Quetzal?

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    If only I had listened to you years ago lol the amount of things I've broken because I thought I'd "Give it a go".
    +1

btw 12.10 also made my sony vaio unusable so I had to force reinstall the whole thing to 12.04

though I'd like to have gnome shell 3.6...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had problems with my Samsung laptop in 12.04; specifically, my monitor would freeze. This never occurred when I was using 11.10, and I never had the issue using 12.04 on my desktop pc.

However, my desktop pc is going on three years now, and it was jumpy and buggy. I backed up all my stuff, and upgraded to 12.10 and now my desktop runs flawlessly!

But I think I'm going to keep 12.04 on my laptop, since that is where i do most of my schoolwork. I went through a large hassle reporting bugs (for the first time!!) in the middle of a semester, had some issues with the kernel and screen, and that kinda stank... I learned a lot, but i don't want to do that again with a machine for work.

If its for play, like my desktop, i say try it out. 12.10 is really nice, from what I've seen of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There it is.

Beans

If it ain't broke,then break it!
    I say if ya want change try Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    If it ain't broke,then break it!
    I say if ya want change try Xubuntu.
    nothing is more boring that testing and everything just work, *must find something to fix*
    *upgrades to 13.04*
    *must find issue, before losing mind*

the one thing i need to fix is dust bunnies getting past my dust filters on my computer (i think that is a lost cause)
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    nothing is more boring that testing and everything just work, *must find something to fix*
    *upgrades to 13.04*
    *must find issue, before losing mind*

the one thing i need to fix is dust bunnies getting past my dust filters on my computer (i think that is a lost cause)
    lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit and I messed it up so I wound up re-installing Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS. I found that the stock Linux 3.2.0-x generic kernel to lock up my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC because it has the new Intel 3rd Generation "Ivy Bridge" CPU and Intel HD Graphics 4000 integrated GPU. So, I upgraded to the Ubuntu Linux kernel 3.4.0 and it solved my problem.

The latest Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS is the only way to go. It's not fun trying to fix broken software especially if you have only one operating system installed bare metal.

LTS may be boring, but it's the safest choice available compared to the interim releases. The interim releases are really dicey depending upon how many updates have been pushed out so you're taking a risk with your user data by upgrading or installing them bare metal especially if you only have one operating system installed on your PC.

I'd say no due to my experience. I was in your boat too and I can relate with you. It's just not worth scratching the itch because it'll bite you in the end.

Beans

An LTS is best to keep. I wouldn't necessarily upgrade if i were you.

Maybe you could test it out and see if you really wanna upgrade?
    Get the Iso and burn it to a disk or a flash drive and bam! Behold Ubuntu 12.10 right at your finger tips.

Although on a personal note. I was really satisfied with 12.10, 12.04 is perfect for what i do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Having Ubuntu/Debian underneath can be enough.

Linux Mint 14 is a solid option.

Well designed Gnome 3 touches and quite stable on 3 machines.

An open mind about desktop environments can prove useful.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123