Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New PC Recommendations

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

New PC Recommendations

Hey, I hope this is ok to post in here for a bit of advice. I'm currently selling my existing PC, the specs of which you can see here because it doesn't really work quick enough for what I use it for. I'd like some advice if possible on getting a desktop PC that either has Ubuntu already installed or is compatible with the latest version of it. I don't game on my PC and the most demanding thing I do is editing images in a variety of programmes including GIMP, Darktable, Shotwell, UFRaw, etc. Above and beyond that I browse the internets, play the odd movie and listen to music/podcasts, etc. So all in all it doesn't have to go like **** off a shovel but it would be nice to have something a bit quicker than my current set-up.

If possible I'd prefer a refurb/reconditioned/2nd hand but if the economics dont make sense I'll opt for new. I dont need a monitor, have plenty of external storage and other peripherals. Upper limit on spend would be around 500GBP/800 USD/630Euros, excluding p+p. I suppose I'm just looking for some pointers on the key specs I should look for in supporting my needs and/or a link to a specific offer/sell.

Thanks in advance to any help. Cheers. R.

Beans

Re: New PC Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by cozski View Post
    I'm currently selling my existing PC, the specs of which you can see here
    That link provides a link to the hp site with a list of all possible models in that range so it does not tell us yuor specs at all. Try posting a link to your exact model else it's pointless for us to try an make any sort of comparison.

For your budget you should be able to get a pretty decent PC.
    Would you be comfortable with building your own? This way you get to pick the best components.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That link provides a link to the hp site with a list of all possible models in that range so it does not tell us yuor specs at all. Try posting a link to your exact model else it's pointless for us to try an make any sort of comparison.

For your budget you should be able to get a pretty decent PC.
    Would you be comfortable with building your own? This way you get to pick the best components.
    Sorry about that... I'll pst the exact specs when I get home. I don't really fancy building something myself but happy enough for some-one else to and factor that into the costs. Thanks for the reply.

I think these are the specs for the system I have... I added a bit of memory and a Wi-fi card but all in all I think it's pretty much as is states here.
    Last edited by cozski; November 12th, 2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Found new information

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cozski View Post
    Sorry about that... I'll pst the exact specs when I get home. I don't really fancy building something myself but happy enough for some-one else to and factor that into the costs. Thanks for the reply.

I think these are the specs for the system I have... I added a bit of memory and a Wi-fi card but all in all I think it's pretty much as is states here.
    Do you have a list of local component stores in Dublin as well as online? Maybe we can put together a list of parts for you they could assemble.

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

If you are looking for components here is another site. http://www.scan.co.uk/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    If you are looking for components here is another site. http://www.scan.co.uk/
    Thanks for that

Beans

Do you have a craigslist equivalent in Ireland? People sometimes sell computers for dirt cheap on there that are perfectly fine. Some people think just because windows is getting slow that the computer is old and just go out and get a new one
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Do you have a craigslist equivalent in Ireland? People sometimes sell computers for dirt cheap on there that are perfectly fine. Some people think just because windows is getting slow that the computer is old and just go out and get a new one
    We don't have a Craiglist and the places that are popular for selling tend to be Gumtree.ie and Adverts.ie

My experience of Irish online selling though is that people over-price everything. I live between Belfast and Dublin and so both provide buying/delivery opportunites and the UK nearly always offers better value.... so worth considering.

Beans

I'll try and have a look at all those links tomorrow sometime and then comment.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast