Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: New PC Recommendations

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Beans
    301

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I'll try and have a look at all those links tomorrow sometime and then comment.
    NewEgg Supply Co probably has a kit for you.....

    or you could buy a book on building your own PC...
    Building the Perfect PC

    i am giving you a bookstore reference as Amazon is trying to push their Kindle edition

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,992

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    NewEgg Supply Co probably has a kit for you.....
    The OP is based in Dublin,Ireland (It's not part of the USA just yet.)

    http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/d...Sk9vTzY5Ymw%3D

    Does Newegg.com ship internationally?

    Published 04/02/2012 07:49 AM | Updated 10/18/2012 02:30 PM

    Newegg.com does not ship internationally. We ship within the United States and to Puerto Rico and APO/FPO addresses only.
    I think a lot of us would love a newegg in our countries but for now we will have to do without it.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    /tropics/islands/statia
    Beans
    275
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    The OP is based in Dublin,Ireland (It's not part of the USA just yet.)

    Newegg.com does not ship internationally. We ship within the United States and to Puerto Rico and APO/FPO addresses only.

    I think a lot of us would love a newegg in our countries but for now we will have to do without it.
    It's even worse than that, they also want you to pay using a credit card or bank from within the USA. How moronic is that? I once tried to order from them, had an USA address to ship to, but they did not want my money, because my Visa card was issued outside the USA. Only American company I have ever encountered that refused to accept my money.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,992

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    It's even worse than that, they also want you to pay using a credit card or bank from within the USA. How moronic is that? I once tried to order from them, had an USA address to ship to, but they did not want my money, because my Visa card was issued outside the USA. Only American company I have ever encountered that refused to accept my money.
    I see they accept Paypal, wonder if that would work? The again I want nothing to do with paypal, they still have some of my money.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Eire (Dublinia)
    Beans
    163
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I'll try and have a look at all those links tomorrow sometime and then comment.
    Hey, thanks for that... I really appreciate any thoughts about this and general advice.... thanks

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Eire (Dublinia)
    Beans
    163
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Thanks to the other comments and advice too.... appreciated. I was once in Munchen and I was buying Whisky, or at least planning to but couldn't do so unless my card was issued in Bavaria. Being a German card wasn't good enough.... had to be Bavarian German. Makes you wonder....

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,992

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by cozski View Post
    Hey, thanks for that... I really appreciate any thoughts about this and general advice.... thanks
    Sorry, have not gotten round to it yet, hopefully soon. Hope you are not in to big of a rush.


    Quote Originally Posted by cozski View Post
    Thanks to the other comments and advice too.... appreciated. I was once in Munchen and I was buying Whisky, or at least planning to but couldn't do so unless my card was issued in Bavaria. Being a German card wasn't good enough.... had to be Bavarian German. Makes you wonder....
    Hehe, I reckon a lot of Bavarians don't consider themselves to be German. This one guy that lives here is quite adamant that he's Bavarian & not German

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    /tropics/islands/statia
    Beans
    275
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I see they accept Paypal, wonder if that would work? The again I want nothing to do with paypal, they still have some of my money.
    I think I remember they would not accept that either, since my Paypal account is linked to my European bank account.
    It is really the dumbest business decision ever and the customer service representative I chatted with did not know the reason(s) behind it.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    5,992

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    .... and the customer service representative I chatted with did not know the reason(s) behind it.
    Asking someone that works in a call centre "Why?" is an exercise in futility I have found.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Beans
    293
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: New PC Recommendations

    Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    The OP is based in Dublin,Ireland (It's not part of the USA just yet.)

    http://help.newegg.com/app/answers/d...Sk9vTzY5Ymw%3D

    I think a lot of us would love a newegg in our countries but for now we will have to do without it.
    The shipping is not the problem (plenty of remailers for that), the thing is they don't accept foreign cards, you need to have one from an american bank And yes, i know people who went and opened one just for that, get a savings account with visa debit card or something.

    I find it simpler to purchase parts in Amazon, just make sure your remailer and your seller are not in the same State... horrible taxes.


    Now what the OP needs can be done quite cheaply. It appears to be image processing/editing, so lets throw some nice 4g+ of value ram and a modern processor. I'm betting something ivybridge or sandybridge will do just fine, no games no need for discrete card.

    So my advise would be:
    An I5 with an intel board, I7 or I3 depending on budget, at least 4g of ram, perhaps 8g depending on budget.

    Example:
    MB H67 90$ http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Desktop-...dp/B004Q7JRJI/
    CPU I5 200$ http://www.amazon.com/Intel-i5-2500K...dp/B004EBUXHQ/
    RAM 8g 37$ http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N8GVUY/
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

    vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •