Thread: Do Ubuntu certified laptops hardware work out-of-the-box?

Beans

Do Ubuntu certified laptops hardware work out-of-the-box?

I saw these laptops at the Ubuntu website.

http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/...ategory=Laptop

It says here that these laptops are certified by Ubuntu. It says that these laptops are certified. Particularly I am looking at the laptops with hybrid graphics, but how sure am I that these laptops will run well under Ubuntu? Is the driver pre-installed?

If not, how can I get the drivers to ensure that these laptops will run well under Ubuntu. Because my currrent computer doesn't run well at all with 3D graphics.

Will all the drivers be working out-of-the-box? Or will they be available through additional drivers? I can't get pre-installed drivers in my country.

What I want to do is buy the laptop model with Windows from my country, install Ubuntu on a dual-boot, with OpenGL running smoothly.
    Last edited by jasoncruz98; November 12th, 2012 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Incomplete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Do Ubuntu certified laptops hardware work out-of-the-box?

what country?

yes it means everyhting works out of the box using the drivers provided in ubuntu additional drivers (if they are necessary). you need to read if there is some notes. the notes indicate what might not work or work differently than in windows.

i found hte certified list dated and plenty of models not available anymore anyway.

you could also buy a linux preloaded laptop and then add windows to it (if you need windows)
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

mastablasta's advice is very good and you should follow it, buy a linux preloaded laptop at an official retailer in your country and afterwards add windows to it, if you really need and want it.

Beans

My country is Malaysia. We do not have Ubuntu pre-loaded laptops and my dad refuses to get one delivered for me from overseas.

I just read up on Project Sputnik. Even if I am not a developer, should I buy Dell XPS 13 (with Windows) which is available in my country and download the custom Sputnik .iso (which accourding to them, works quite well with Ubuntu) and remove the unwanted parts later?

@mastablasta Although I would gladly get one of the Ubuntu certified laptops on Dell, I don't really have the assurance that 3D graphics and the other neccesary drivers will work out of the box using the drivers provided in ubuntu additional drivers, or do I?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by jasoncruz98 View Post
    My country is Malaysia. We do not have Ubuntu pre-loaded laptops and my dad refuses to get one delivered for me from overseas.
    you don't have to get that far overseas to find one look at Singapore and maybe those islands down south.

anyway i dont' know how powerfull maschine you need but check some business HP models they come with SUSE linux, then dell has models with GPU and Ubutnu preloaded for example this 17" one: Dell Inspiron 17R SE 7720 2,3 GHz (might have different ending in model name in Asia...). Some entry Acers come with Ubuntu but i guess you are not interested in them. Some Asus also as well as some work well with Ubuntu. Plenty of Lenovo models work good.

Some HP's with hybrid graphics work well if you use proprietary drivers.

here is an interesting post on hybrids: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...graphics+works

@mastablasta Although I would gladly get one of the Ubuntu certified laptops on Dell, I don't really have the assurance that 3D graphics and the other neccesary drivers will work out of the box using the drivers provided in ubuntu additional drivers, or do I?
    If they are Ubuntu certified and if they come for example preloaded with uBunut in other countries then it means everything will work on the maschine.

best thing to do is to define the
    - usage parameters (e.g. what you will use it for)
    - based on that define configuration
    - based on configuration also define a budget
    - based on budget and approximate configuration (i.e. what it needs to have) check the models (and review) and then google if anyone else already tried them out and their experience.
    that's what i did. it took me a while but i found one with win starter that is fully compatible with Ubutnu (it seems - havent' instaleld yet but in live session everything worked and i also read posts of people that installed it and it all worked well)

i guess they do not allow to try it beforre you buy it? was in same situation my self so google was my friend. if i could try before buying i would probably do it a lot faster.

with notebook problem parts are: GPU and wi-fi (lately also touchpad). the rest should work for the most part or can be made to work.

GPU - nvidia otimus (hybrid GPU) does not support linux. AMD fully supports some models (even hybrid) with linux drivers. Intel also suports linux except certain low cost models that they outsourced (Atom 2800 has issues with 3D acceleration).
    wi-fi - i am not sure which ones are a sure bet, but i think intel maybe Atheros (but soemone else with more experience should fill this one up)
    touchpad - synaptic seem to have good support.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

How much does System76 charge to ship to Malaysia?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    How much does System76 charge to ship to Malaysia?
    Wrong assumption. It does not ship to Malaysia.

North America United States, Canada, Mexico

South America Brazil

Europe Iceland, Greenland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, France, Norway,
    Sweden, Finland, Germany, Ireland, United Kingdom, Switzerland,
    Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Greece

Asia India, Japan, South Korea

Australia

Zealandia New Zealand