Thread: Wine on 12.04 (64bit)

Beans

Wine on 12.04 (64bit)

Hi - any tips gratefully received. I've been googling for a couple of hours but no luck so far.

I'm trying to install Wine on 12.04 64bit (clean install). As you can guess, I get an error...

I tried the usual apt-get and dpkg commands. With no apparent effect. I've also tried "edit / fix broken packages" in Synaptic.

using apt-get install:

wine : Depends: wine1.4 but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

In Synaptic Package manager I get:
    To Be Removed
    libpurple0
    libsasl2-modules
    telepathy-haze
    ubuntu-desktop

To be installed
    (lots)

I haven't OK'd the message in Synaptic, as I'm not sure whether I need those packages for something else. I'm also wondering why the apt-get error message is so vague. The first 3 seem related to IM/Pidgin. But ubuntu-desktop sounds kind of important.

NB I've got a pretty standard system, with the only odd thing that I had to install bumblebee to support optimus video-card. Not sure if this is related.

Thanks in advance
    W.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Wine on 12.04 (64bit)

Don't OK that message, ubuntu-desktop is important.

Open up Synaptic and search for 'wine'. Try removing all the Wine packages you have currently installed. Be sure that it does not try to remove ubuntu-desktop or any package other than wine when doing this.

Then, open Synaptic and try to install wine again.

Best of luck,
    ubudog

Beans

[Solved] Re: Wine on 12.04 (64bit)

Quote Originally Posted by ubudog View Post
    Don't OK that message, ubuntu-desktop is important.

Open up Synaptic and search for 'wine'. Try removing all the Wine packages you have currently installed. Be sure that it does not try to remove ubuntu-desktop or any package other than wine when doing this.

Then, open Synaptic and try to install wine again.

Best of luck,
    ubudog
    Mate - a belated thankyou - been travelling so only just went through it but all seems ok now.

Cheers

Beans

first update you ubuntu softwares then goto terminal and type "sudo apt-get install wine"
    then after following instruction type y

also reply me to my account if it works or not and add me as friend in ubuntuforam and "facebook as Bhavdeep"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: [Solved] Re: Wine on 12.04 (64bit)

Quote Originally Posted by wormbuntu View Post
    Mate - a belated thankyou - been travelling so only just went through it but all seems ok now.

Cheers
    Great, glad that worked.

Beans

Just thought I'd bump this thread; I was having the exact same problem (on a fresh install of 12.04 64 bit), same packages marked for removal and everything. I'm guessing it was something to do with old version dependencies in Synaptic (maybe old data cached for one of the repositories maybe?)

I ended up going into the update manager and installing all the "critical" and "recommended" updates, restarted the PC, ran Synaptic again and Wine installation went fine that time. It had to download about 200 MB of dependencies but nothing marked for removal and no conflicts/errors.

I realize the OP got it working already but I figured I'd post here anyway to help the next person who comes along.