Thread: Problems with booting and login on Ubuntu 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Problems with booting and login on Ubuntu 12.10

Hello,
    I've started using Ubuntu 12.10 on a VMware Workstation 9, and I am encountering TWO significant problems:

(1) The boot process is AWFULLY slow. Frequently it gets stuck somewhere in the middle,
    and I have to reset the (virtual) computer. Usually, the boot succeeds after the reset;
    (2) Today I have encountered an even worse problem: on login, after entering my
    password, the computer's response was to return to the login screen (no message
    about bad password appeared). I am absolutely certain that I used the correct
    password

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    bostjanv

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Problems with booting and login on Ubuntu 12.10

Thread moved to Virtualisation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bostjanv View Post
    Hello,
    I've started using Ubuntu 12.10 on a VMware Workstation 9, and I am encountering TWO significant problems:

(1) The boot process is AWFULLY slow. Frequently it gets stuck somewhere in the middle,
    and I have to reset the (virtual) computer. Usually, the boot succeeds after the reset;
    (2) Today I have encountered an even worse problem: on login, after entering my
    password, the computer's response was to return to the login screen (no message
    about bad password appeared). I am absolutely certain that I used the correct
    password

Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    bostjanv
    As far as the performance issue goes, how much of your system resources did you allot to the virtual machine? Out of the box, Ubuntu is pretty resource intensive since the introduction of Unity, and is intended for machines with a good amount of RAM. Double check and make sure you've allotted the proper amount of resources to your virtual machine for it to run smooth.

Also, during the boot process, try hitting the "Escape" key. It used to cause the OS to boot in verbose mode so you can see if anything fails during the boot process. This could show you what is happening when the startup hangs.
    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    -- Mark Twain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the recommendation regarding "Escape" key. I'll try to get more information.

Regarding issue (2) in my original post, it turned out to be unrelated to both virtualisation and Ubuntu. It resulted from a syntax error in my .profile file, and it appeared on Debian 6 as well. One would expect to see some message in a case like this (i.e., syntax errors in .profile); but none appeared, the log in screen just kept reappearing.

Regards,
    bostjanv