Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cant see desktop after login

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: I cant see desktop after login

Quote Originally Posted by aerol36 View Post
    i used wubi. after i open wubi i choosed lubuntu. it installed but didnt open. when i booted there was 2 choice 1.windows7 2.lubuntu after i choose lubuntu 2 choice came 1. ubuntu 2. ubuntu ...generic...(sonething like that).

wubi installer
    and now there is just one os (windows7)
    And what happened after you picked the first choice?

Beans

login and pass screen came (blackscreen) i wrote username and pass. but nothing happened . I could write something. like start --help, startx. so again nothing happened and i uninstalled . i downloaded iso file. i booted from usb but again after installation nothing happened.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I think you should check the condition of your Windows before you do anything more. See if you can still log in okay. Unless of course you're planning to install over windows (deleting windows) anyway.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

yeah i checked. there is no problem abou windows.it is working normal. i am trying to install lubuntu to inside of windows
    i think there is a problem about iso file because when i booted from usb i choosed check disk for errors and it said there is 1 error . but i downloaded this by 2 times with wubi and one time manually but still it iis not working
    Last edited by aerol36; November 12th, 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I agree with Critin, if you want to keep windows and dual boot, you might want to boot into windows just to make sure all is still working.

After you make your USB, do you happen to have another computer available to boot with just to see if the screens come up?

Also, after the download did you check the MD5SUM's and make sure all is well with the downloaded file?

Beans

ok iwill try on another computer .
    what is the md5sum?

thank you for your help

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I don't know which version you're trying to get, but apparently wubi exe. won't work well with 12.04 without forcing, and I don't recommend that for a new user.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/12501...inside-windows

Try this installer below instead. Read through the instructions throughly before doing anything. I would advise 12.04 as a more stable system.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...u-with-windows

what is the md5sum?
    If you let Wubi download it, it will check this for you. This makes sure the entire file was downloaded, and not just part of it.
    Last edited by critin; November 12th, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Beans

i used wubi 2 times so it didnt work

thanks..
    Last edited by aerol36; November 12th, 2012 at 08:22 PM.

Beans

i got the same problem with wubi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Installing using Wubi gives you a sub-optimal setup. Many people happily use it and have no problems with it, but it's still sub-optimal. Its advantage is ease of installation. If you're having trouble using it, I recommend that instead you use the more traditional approach:

1. Download the .iso file. (You probably already have it.)
    2. Create bootable media from the .iso file, either USB or CD (DVD in the case of 12.10). Note that putting the .iso on the media the way you would any other file is not the same. Instead, follow the instructions on the appropriate link below.
    3. Insert/plug in the bootable media and reboot your machine. At the initial screen with the computer manufacturer's logo, you will probably have to hit one of the function keys (F2, F12, etc.) or Shift to bring up boot options and select the USB or Optical Drive.
    4. From there, things should be pretty straight-forward. I recommend you select the "Try Ubuntu" option and do a little test-driving before running the installer. When you run the installer, make sure that it recognizes Windows and that you're choosing to install alongside Windows. If that option isn't present (rare, but it happens), come back to the forums for instructions on how to manually partition so that you don't lose Windows in the process.

The promised links:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...dvd-on-windows
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/...ick-on-windows
    (The DVD link also applies to CDs.)

The traditional install may not look any easier, but if you run into problems, troubleshooting it using the forums is usually a lot easier. It's the installation method used by most of the really experienced forum participants, so they're more familiar with that setup.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12