Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solution to Ubuntu 12.10 AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics not working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Solution to Ubuntu 12.10 AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics not working

First I want to clarify that I did not write this guide I am merely rewriting and publishing.
    Marian Lux wrote the original at askubuntu.com. All credit goes to him.
    Link to original post: here.

This tutorial worked for me personally, and I have AMD Radeon HD 4600M integrated graphics card in my laptop.

Pre-Install:

Three terminal-commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential cdbs fakeroot dh-make debhelper debconf libstdc++6
    sudo apt-get install dkms libqtgui4 wget execstack libelfg0 dh-modaliases
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic xserver-xorg-core libgcc1
    Optional if 64 Bit - two terminal-commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    cd /usr ; sudo ln -svT lib /usr/lib64
    Download from this direct-link: https://launchpad.net/~andrikos/+arc...-archive-extra the files and this two .deb packages into an empty folder

xserver-xorg-video-intel-dbg_2.20.0-0~andrik1_XXX.deb
    xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.20.0-0~andrik1_XXX.deb
    where XXX should be your architecture identifier (x86 or amd64)

Execute the following two terminal-commands in the folder with downloaded .deb files:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i xserver-xorg-video-intel*.deb
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure Xorg
    Then reboot your machine

Note - this is from the PPA: https://launchpad.net/~andrikos/+arc...filter=quantal

Important - There have been released a security update for "xserver-org" from the official Ubuntu repositories which mad the system crash again (no login screen). All you have to do is to install the newest two xserver-org-video-intel*.deb's (downloaded and installed as described above) from the PPA https://launchpad.net/~andrikos/+arc...filter=quantal again. You can also add this PPA on your system for preventing this issue. The PPA may have too many other packages, so you may want to do it (downloading the two .deb-files and installing them) manually. Another solution is, to de-select the "xserver-org"-packages if there are official Ubuntu security updates available.

Installation:

Get the current ATI Catalyst driver e,g 12.11 Beta (Marian Lux have tested it with this release):

Code:
    wget -c http://goo.gl/QRHCk -O catalyst-12.11-beta-x86.x86_64.zip
    Unzip the .zip and make it executable. Then go to the folder with the unzipped .run-file in terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-XXX.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal
    Replace XXX with the correct name of the file

Install the created .deb-files with the following terminal-command in the current directory:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
    Post-Install:

Enter the terminal command

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial -f
    Reboot your system

Code:
    sudo reboot
    optional - fixing the bug for direct rendering on the integrated card:

Code:
    gksu gedit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx
    Add the string "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/" on your 64Bit system that the line finally looks like this:

LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri
    Add the string "/usr/lib32/dri/" on your 32Bit system, so that the line finally looks like this:

Code:
    LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/dri
    Links for more knowledge:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...930450&page=51

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/inst...ta-driver.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Angry Re: Solution to Ubuntu 12.10 AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics not working

applicable to radeon 7570M ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Solution to Ubuntu 12.10 AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics not working

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Araujo View Post
    applicable to radeon 7570M ?
    I think so, but I am honestly not sure. Your best bet would be to try it. Worst case scenario, is that it won't work.
    If this works for you, please report back.

Beans

Hi!

Works like a charm on 7600M @ Sony Vaio SVE14A15FBB!

Thanks!
    Rainer

Beans

Exclamation Re: Solution to Ubuntu 12.10 AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics not working

After Installing the Driver, my laptop is overheated. it was overheating before and i thought using the High performance card would help , but haven't.
    I don't have the same on windows. is there a way to fix this ? or to shutdown the Intel card if it was on but the system doesn't detect it ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by menaaboud View Post
    After Installing the Driver, my laptop is overheated. it was overheating before and i thought using the High performance card would help , but haven't.
    I don't have the same on windows. is there a way to fix this ? or to shutdown the Intel card if it was on but the system doesn't detect it ?
    Any one ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I did not have overheating on my laptop but it was running quite hot though. For me I just could not use anything Ubuntu based because I was getting artifacts, strange cached images appearing and startup and shutdown just looked terrible. All that was with the proprietary drivers, it was even worse with the open source drivers....

I ended up installing Fedora 17 on the laptop just to be able to use it. The version of x-server and the ATI drivers seems to be the issue in my case why I had so many problems in Ubuntu and it's variants. I followed a guide in the Fedora forums to get the proprietary driver installed and everything works great.

The last 2 Ubuntu releases work fine on 3 desktops with NVidea graphics, just had a little trouble on one system of choosing the right driver but it was not that difficult to get it sorted out though.

I really do not see any solid solution for ATI hybrid graphics in Ubuntu right now. PCLinuxOS also worked with my laptop after installing the proprietary driver but I had problems with sound not working in applications. I had system sounds and that was it. I am pretty sure I could have got help with the sound issue but it was late and I just wanted to get the laptop running.

Fedora worked for the most part out of the box but the open source drivers did not always let the system boot fully. A hard reboot would get me back to the desktop though. After installing the proprietary drivers the laptops graphics have been problem free. I have been using the laptop for 3 days, running it all day with no issues.

These are just my experiences and what I went through to get my laptop running. Someone might have a solution for Ubuntu but I never found anything that completely solved my problems. If you can not get your graphics to work under Ubuntu I would take a look at Fedora first to save yourself all of the trouble I went through. Linux is Linux and as long as everything works I do not mind running a different distribution.

Edit: At one point I thought I had the graphics issue solved in Ubuntu but a look in System Monitor showed that it was not fixed. One of the cores of my quad core processor kept spiking to 100% in an endless loop. Make sure you look in System Monitor for this.
    Last edited by exploder; November 24th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi!

I just ordered the following:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

Am I going to have problems?

Thanks!

KegHead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: Solution to Ubuntu 12.10 AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics not working

Quote Originally Posted by KegHead View Post
    Hi!

I just ordered the following:

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

Am I going to have problems?

Thanks!

KegHead
    To be honest, I don't really know.
    The card you ordered is not a Radeon series card.
    Just try the proprietary drivers Ubuntu suggests.
    If you have any problems, please do not hesitate to ask me.

Beans

Confirming that this works for me on an HP Envy 15 3040 nr running Radeon HD 7690M.

Also the original askubuntu post has useful scripts for switching cards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast