Thread: Graphics preformance down in 12.10

Beans

Graphics preformance down in 12.10

Just upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, and i notice my graphics performance has really dropped on my laptop. I have a nvidia optimus card meaning kwin is running on integrated intel graphics. The performance drop is especially noticeable when using the desktop cube effect. Has anyone else experienced these slowdowns and if they had found any fixes?
    Last edited by JaySeeJC; October 21st, 2012 at 04:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Re: Graphics preformance down in 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by JaySeeJC View Post
    Just upgraded from 12.04 to 12.10, and i notice my graphics performance has really dropped on my laptop. I have a nvidia optimus card meaning kwin is running on integrated intel graphics. The performance drop is especially noticeable when using the desktop cube effect. Has anyone else experienced these slowdowns and if they had found any fixes?
    Hello!

I had a same problem with Kubuntu 12.10 on my new E530 ThinkPad Edge Lenovo laptop. Recently my dear friend notified me about that there
    is a new kde release 4.9.3 and it can solve all my performance problems with kde desktop effects. After the upgrade, it works for me. So I suggest you update your kde from the Kubuntu Backports PPA.

You can do this by graphical user interface:
    Follow the instructions can be found here: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.9.3
    After that you should click on the'Check for Updates' button of the 'muon' update manager application to fetch list of available packages and after click on the 'Install Updates' button to install the new packages.
    Or from console as well:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa
    sudo apt-get install aptitude # if you do not have
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

Finally, restart the computer. (The KDE restart may be enough.)
    I hope this will help.