Thread: Noob, no internet

Beans

Smile Noob, no internet

Hello everyone, I'm completely new to linux and working with installing new OS. I've used preset mac and windows OS my entire life, so i don't quite understand how to navigate Kubuntu entirely, or even how to edit the code.

with the network manager, I've gone into "manage connections". but i can't even look under the "wireless" tab. I can look for Wired or VPN connections...but all i want is the wireless option?

I'm using an Asus Eee 1025c, and i've removed everything from the HDD and dedicated the entire space to Kubuntu 9.10. Everything seems to be running smoothly. But i can't seem to figure out how to get my wireless internet connection to work. If there's anyone out there patient enough to help me figure it out, i'd greatly appreciate it! I love the OS so far, and i understand that i have a lot to learn. Any and all advice is welcome.

Please lemme know, Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Noob, no internet

It would probably be easiest to connect the machine to wired network, then update everything and see if there are additional drivers available for the network card. Often, the install images do not contain every possible driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You should try using a different version of Kubuntu.

9.10 reached end-of-life 18 months ago and as such doesn't receive any support or updates anymore (there have been no security updates since April last year).

Newer versions include support for more hardware so you may find that by installing 12.04 or 12.10 your wireless just works with no additional steps needed.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Good advice from Cheesemill, it is always good to use the last version, as it will contain more drivers.

If after doing a complete install & all upgrades via the wired instal, and a reboot
    there is still no wireless, then it is time to search further on this forum and on google

Beans

Perhaps you can also have a look here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

If you click on the link
    Fixing Ubuntu - modifications required for hardware support
    you will find some tips on getting wireless to work

and otherwise, there seem to be other than ubuntu distributions specially geared for eeepc at Array.org but the link does not seem to be functional anymore.
    I guess google can help you with this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hello Noob,
    i used to have the same problem some time back!
    i am using lenovo y500 which have an wireless switch with the extra function key option to turn on and off the wireless network. what i came up is that you have to disable and enable it with the function key + wireless switch button after turning ON the wireless switch. try this i think it should help. please replay if it helped.

Beans

I see, thanks for the help you guys! I'll try updating my Kubuntu to a newer version.

Beans

It worked! I have a newer version and everything is working just fine. Thanks for the advice!