Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the bottleneck here (CPU usage)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: What's the bottleneck here (CPU usage)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...30+%40+2.70GHz

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...%20@%202.80GHz

it would be about 30% faster
    i only consider this benchmark for comparing if they have the same number of threads

flash is the devil incarnated
    i will try to run a 1080p youtube and a 720p you tube at the same time in flash on my laptop using dual monitors, if it can do that that chip can do you should have no issue with that cpu i linked
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Rocket J Squirrel...

Try disabling all necessary desktop eyecandy that isn't required.

When playing Flash video, do you have a process running called 'plugin-container'? To check, run 'top' via terminal, sort by CPU usage by pressing 'P' (capital P).

mardybear

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I was able to play 2 1080p flash videos on youtube at the same time in fullscreen with my 2.3GHz Pentium laptop, so the 2.7Ghz desktop Pentium should have no problem with a single 1080p flash video
    i can't try 3 as the Intel GPU only supports 2 monitors
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mardybear View Post
    Hi Rocket J Squirrel...

Try disabling all necessary desktop eyecandy that isn't required.
    Standard Unity desktop with pretty photo of flower on it. Don't see what else I could disable?

Quote Originally Posted by mardybear View Post
    When playing Flash video, do you have a process running called 'plugin-container'? To check, run 'top' via terminal, sort by CPU usage by pressing 'P' (capital P).
    Nope, no "plugin-container in the top 80 processes running. This running the Chrome browser. I'll try with FF, one moment, please. Oh yes, there is it. What do this tell us?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq: thanks for running the test. Before I get the new hardware, though, I reckon I'll give that idea on page 1 of this thread a shot: handing the playback of Flash videos over to another player, although installing and setting that thing up looks like Advanced Prgramming. I'll try to hack my way through it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket J Squirrel View Post
    pqwoerituytrueiwoq: thanks for running the test. Before I get the new hardware, though, I reckon I'll give that idea on page 1 of this thread a shot: handing the playback of Flash videos over to another player, although installing and setting that thing up looks like Advanced Prgramming. I'll try to hack my way through it.
    i dont know what socket is on your current board, but if it is a 1155 socket, you may not new a mobo and ram

the attached file has a installer for you to run in the terminal, it will add a launcher under multimedia

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    i dont know what socket is on your current board, but if it is a 1155 socket, you may not new a mobo and ram
    Thank you. The CPU does not appear to be socketed.

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    the attached file has a installer for you to run in the terminal, it will add a launcher under multimedia
    That's very kind of you to do this. Alas, I cannot see any sign of an attachment. This might be what my wife calls "Male Pattern Blindness"?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket J Squirrel View Post
    That's very kind of you to do this. Alas, I cannot see any sign of an attachment. This might be what my wife calls "Male Pattern Blindness"?
    bottom of 1st post above signature

Beans

Please forgive me. I've looked at all your posts on this thread. The first is #3 and I don't see an attachment above your sig, though I do see a link to the how-to thread. Is the attachment p-mailable?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Beans

Oh -- the first post in that thread. I thought you meant this thread. My bad.

Thank you.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast