Thread: Is my WoW issue unresolvable?

Hybrid View

Beans

Is my WoW issue unresolvable?

I'm a completely new user to Ubuntu 12.10, so i apologise if i don't provide the necessary information or use appropriate terminology. If i don't; chances are i don't know how! But i will try to update this as often as possible if anyone could be generous enough to provide me with steps to resolve my issue.

Thanks in advance!

----

Basically, i have World of warcraft installed on an external hard drive and i am able to play it through wine ('browse c: drive'), however it only plays on the lowest settings (with a low framerate) citing 'Unsupported for graphics related reasons' on many of the game's system options.

Code:
    lspci -k
    returns the following output:

NVIDIA Corporation G92 [GeForce 9800 GT] (rev a2)
    Subsystem: CardExpert Technology Device 0401
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia
    Kernel modules: nvidia_current, nouveau, nvidiafb

I truly won't be bothered if the issue turns out to be unresolvable, so long as i know it's not something that can be fixed by altering my drivers or configuration settings in Wine.

Again, i am a total beginner with this OS, and i realise it might be a pain to help me due to this, but any help would be greatly appreciated as Ubuntu is currently my sole OS.

Thanks again!

Beans

Re: Is my WoW issue unresolvable?

Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers?
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

It is because of Opengl.....direct x doesnt work well

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bsohm View Post
    It is because of Opengl.....direct x doesnt work well
    Yes, you could be correct. Did you set the game to run with the -opengl setting?

In the config.wtf file add the following:

SET gxApi "opengl"

Other possible fixes:

- Open Wine's version of the registry editor by running "regedit" - Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\ - Select the "Wine" folder, right-click onto the folder symbol and select New-> Key and rename it to "OpenGL" - Select the OpenGL-Key, then right-click into the right-hand pane, chose New-> String Value and hit enter - Rename "New Value #1" to "DisabledExtensions" - Double-Click on the renamed Key and enter "GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object" into the "value" field
    Last edited by Dlambert; November 12th, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    Yes, you could be correct. Did you set the game to run with the -opengl setting?

In the config.wtf file add the following:

SET gxApi "opengl"

Other possible fixes:
    Yes i have set the game to run in opengl through its config.wtf file, i have also added the regedit value you suggested with no change.

i'm not sure how to check that i have the latest nvidia drivers installed, i think there is an experimental 304 driver but i'm using the most current stable version.

hmmm...

Edit: After poking around i think it's most likely the problem might be with the installed drivers. Though i wouldn't know how to remove the current and install the most recent.
    Last edited by manopapalex; November 12th, 2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You could always use the Synaptic package manager and uncheck the nvidia drivers and reboot your machine. Afterwards, open the same program and install the nvidia-experimental, which is the 310.14 driver (I use it with WoW and get great frame rates, even through Direct x mode).
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by holastickboy View Post
    You could always use the Synaptic package manager and uncheck the nvidia drivers and reboot your machine. Afterwards, open the same program and install the nvidia-experimental, which is the 310.14 driver (I use it with WoW and get great frame rates, even through Direct x mode).
    here's a screen shot of all the nvidia driver's synaptic shows me:

http://i.imgur.com/VlnkG.png

Would you be so kind as to tell me exactly which to 'uncheck' which to leave alone and which to 'check', and when i should be rebooting in between this process?

Thanks you so much.