Thread: Toshiba U845W/U800W screen scrambled

Beans

Toshiba U845W/U800W screen scrambled

Have recently come into the possession of a Toshiba U845W/U800W laptop. This wouldn't be my first choice on laptops, but wtf it is free. I jumped through a bunch of hoops to delete windows and the software raid, but only to find the screen completely scrambled in ubuntu.

I am a somewhat seasoned ubuntu user. Tried to insert a new mode through xrandr, and tried to install the bleeding edge intel drivers through the xorg-video crack pusher ppa. But these efforts don't seem to fix the problem. Any help here? I am not that well versed in X11, so my attempt at inserting the new mode with xrandr might be wrong. So, I am open to suggestions. Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Toshiba U845W/U800W screen scrambled

Please see a Fedora bug, this seems to be a kernel issue

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=868729

Beans

In fact, I rolled back to Ubuntu 12.04.1, it worked out of the box with kernel 3.2.0-29, but when I did an apt-get dist-upgrade the kernel got updated to 3.2.0-33, and it's all scrambled again. If I choose to boot 3.2.0-29, it still all works. So, it's definitely in the kernel.

Beans

Smile Re: Toshiba U845W/U800W screen scrambled

Quote Originally Posted by fixture View Post
    In fact, I rolled back to Ubuntu 12.04.1, it worked out of the box with kernel 3.2.0-29, but when I did an apt-get dist-upgrade the kernel got updated to 3.2.0-33, and it's all scrambled again. If I choose to boot 3.2.0-29, it still all works. So, it's definitely in the kernel.

hey, i think it's the kernel's bug. I tried kernel 3.5.2 & 3.5.N (n > 2) & 3.6.*, all work out of box except 3.5.2. finally, i tried 3.7.rc6, and it works again.

so i suggest you compile the 3.7 kernel by yourself, or use the old one.

btw, i'm using the toshiba u800w too, and meet some issues:

1. Some Fn key not working (brightness, lcd switch, touchpad onoff, wireless onoff)
    2. ath9k wlan break easily(phy0: Unable to reset channel, reset status -22): i found many in the internet about this issue, some says it's fix in the new kernel, but i still have the issue using the 3.7.rc6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I know you don't "Vote" for bugs here, but I also have one of these (Toshiba u845W), and I have exactly the same problem.

12.04 install went fine (momentary problem getting the SSD and HDD set up the way I wanted).

1st update got me to the 3.2.0.36.43 kernel, and .... Screen distortion.

I have just been picking the old kernel (...0.29, I believe), in GRUB every time I boot, and it is fine.

I didn't get my u845w for free, but I got an open box for less than 1/2 price.

I like the machine. Everything works fine (12.04 is the only OS on it), and I like the ultra wide screen.

Not only that, but when it dies, I'm going to bolt some wheels to it, and I'll have a cool skateboard.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Toshiba U845W/U800W screen scrambled

I see that kernel 3.2.0-37 is out now. I just got one of these laptops recently and saw the posts, so I did not upgrade the kernel. Was just curious if this issue was fixed yet. Everything else seems to be working great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fixture View Post
    Have recently come into the possession of a Toshiba U845W/U800W laptop. This wouldn't be my first choice on laptops, but wtf it is free. I jumped through a bunch of hoops to delete windows and the software raid, but only to find the screen completely scrambled in ubuntu.

I am a somewhat seasoned ubuntu user. Tried to insert a new mode through xrandr, and tried to install the bleeding edge intel drivers through the xorg-video crack pusher ppa. But these efforts don't seem to fix the problem. Any help here? I am not that well versed in X11, so my attempt at inserting the new mode with xrandr might be wrong. So, I am open to suggestions. Thanks,

Man, can you tell me how do you install ubuntu in the u845w?? I want to keep the both OS (W7 & Ubuntu 13.04) in the laptop... but with an usb with ubuntu they don't recognize any HDD on it to install, Can yu tell me how put ubuntu in the laptop??