Thread: Best Settings For Gaming

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Best Settings For Gaming

I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed.

I have a ATI Radeon HD 5850 graphics card, currently running the default Ubuntu drivers.

I want to test out Steam and play a game or to and they are telling me to update drivers.

Every time I have tried the ATI/AMD drivers I have had issues.

For my system, what is the best option to use?

There are 2 options in additional drivers, and I believe 2 versions on the AMD website.

Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Best Settings For Gaming

I've ATI 5000HD and those drivers installed (12.11beta11 for graphic cards newer than HD5000).

Everything (Steam, Team Fortress 2, Serious Sam, Left4Dead2 etc.) works fine

But it's little issue, after kernel update you must reinstall the drivers. otherwise x-server doesn't run when system starting up.
    Yet another blog about Linux Games..- news, ratings, tutorials and competitions

Beans
    Distro

Yea I tried running Team Fortress 2 on the default drivers and just get an error message.

I will try those drivers, just the last time I updated drivers I couldn't get back into Ubuntu after a reboot lol

Side question, how did you install Left4Dead2? I have that game in Steam, but it does not show up on the list of Linux games?

Beans

That's because only a select few games are available for linux at the moment. Maybe when it leaves beta all games will become available.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Darksthour View Post
    That's because only a select few games are available for linux at the moment. Maybe when it leaves beta all games will become available.
    UH ok? He said he had Left4Dead2 working, its not on the linux list, that is why I asked? What does that have to do with the beta.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    UH ok? He said he had Left4Dead2 working, its not on the linux list, that is why I asked? What does that have to do with the beta.
    It's a little bit complicated. I joined to the closed beta testing in October, then I had L4D2 and I played on those drivers. Members in beta can playing a few games but in December beta has been expired and I lost access to games. That's all. I don't know what's the matter with L4D2 now, maybe they're testing "privately".

Yea I tried running Team Fortress 2 on the default drivers and just get an error message.
    When I had default driver in Ubuntu I had also errors. I remember that was something with rgb and Opengl.

Anyway, before install from run file make sure, whether old fglrx drivers are deleted (sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx* etc..)

Beans
    Distro

So I should do that command even if I have never installed any ATI drivers before?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bman View Post
    So I should do that command even if I have never installed any ATI drivers before?
    Nope, now go to install

I meant only when have you fglrx drivers installed early.

Beans
    Distro

Alright good to know, thanks.

Beans
    Distro

I installed the latest drivers (12.11) and things almost seem worse now.

Opening and closing my browser seems more choppy then before. Shouldn't it be better?