Thread: Disable excessive password requests

Hybrid View

Beans

Disable excessive password requests

Hi, thats my matter: I don't want to prompt my password every time I want to install a new app or things like that. I want to be requested of my pass just when I start my computer. How should I do this? Im in ubuntu 10.04 LTS

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Disable excessive password requests

Asking you for your password when you are doing something that modifies important parts of your running system is an inherent safety feature and should not be bypassed.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I don't think its a good idea either, but your choice.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...Search&lang=en

Beans

Well I don't want to disable it completely, just for the software center. Even better, I want the system to remember the pass so I would have just to confirm. Is that possible?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Seph29 View Post
    Well I don't want to disable it completely, just for the software center. Even better, I want the system to remember the pass so I would have just to confirm. Is that possible?
    The solution would require typing more characters than the length of your password, while simultaneously diminishing your security, so I'm not sure it is a net gain.

Beans

Read man sudoers very carefully

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Disable excessive password requests for Ubuntu Software Center

The timestamp_timeout for sudo (according to sudoers man-page) is 15 minutes by default. That means you have 15 minutes until the password (you have given) reset.
    timestamp_timeout
    Number of minutes that can elapse before sudo will ask
    for a passwd again. The timeout may include a
    fractional component if minute granularity is
    insufficient, for example 2.5. The default is 15.
    Now , gksudo is the command to open GUI applications (like software center) with root privileges . Logically gksudo follows the timestamp of sudo ,
    so
    if you open software-center with gksudo , you will have 15 minutes until your password be reset
    Be aware here , I never tested it.

Open a terminal and test it.
    Code:
    gksudo software-center
    If my thought above is correct , then you can do it permanently by changing the "Exec=" line in ubuntu-software-center.desktop file , inside /usr/share/applications/

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

@^^

I am not sure of the exact duration but after entering your password into Software Center there is a period where you can add more software and it won't request your password again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't want to prompt my password every time I want to install a new app or things like that.
    Let me first say that I somehow understand where you're coming from. But how often do you really install software and are prompted for a password? How many upgrades are coming along where you have to type your password? And how much system maintenance do you do?

PS
    In my personal Windows setup, I have to switch user to administrator before I even can install software
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Hi, thats my matter: I don't want to prompt my password every time I want to install a new app or things like that. I want to be requested of my pass just when I start my computer. How should I do this? Im in ubuntu 10.04 LTS
    Take this as you may, I use this here though slightly more extended to some other related operations.
    This will allow those in sudo group, (typically just you), to install/remove apps thru the software-center or synaptic without add. auth

Code:
    sudo gedit  /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/package-manager.pkla
    Copy & paste this in, save
    Code:
    [Install package file]
    Identity=unix-group:sudo
    Action=org.debian.apt.install-file;org.debian.apt.update-cache;org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages;org.debian.apt.upgrade-packages
    ResultActive=yes

[Install package synaptic]
    Identity=unix-group:sudo
    Action=com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic
    ResultActive=yes