Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu terminal

Hybrid View

Beans

ubuntu terminal

can anyone enlighten me about some of the uses of the ubuntu terminal.It looks similar to windows command prompt but what is it that makes it better.specifically can it be used for tweaking please specify come tips.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: ubuntu terminal

Quote Originally Posted by fr33c0untry View Post
    can anyone enlighten me about some of the uses of the ubuntu terminal.It looks similar to windows command prompt but what is it that makes it better.specifically can it be used for tweaking please specify come tips.
    Hi,

Terminal is very powerful in linux based OS. It can be used to do any work provided you have the necessary permissions.The ability to club several commands using redirection and pipes is what makes it superior over other types of OS. This also makes several difficult tasks to be accomplished using only a few lines of code.

You can have a look at
    http://www.freeos.com/guides/lsst/

Regards,
    Abhinav

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Happy Resources:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CommandLineResources

start reading, it will knock your socks off!
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

what about doing tasks like cleaning registry ,deleting unwanted files like one would do using ccleaner on windows.or are there utilities for maintainance

Beans

You can install, remove or call any application in your system from the terminal , including the maintenance utilities.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Ubuntu does not use registry, and in general requires little maintenance. There's an utility called BleachBit that cleans junk files like CCleaner, and you can install it via the Software Center, or via the command line:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bleachbit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

The power of the terminal really comes in when you learn about bash scripting.
    For example using scripts I can use command line tools to create a custom backup script that executes doing exactly what I want it to do, this comes in handy particularly for administrating systems. I can create custom scripts that monitor my log files and alert me when certain events occur, there is a lot more you can do those are just two examples off the top of my head. Windows does the same thing with what's called power shell, it's just an advanced command line meant for scripting on Windows systems. I don't know how powerful it is when measured up against bash.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

The command line acts as a text based interface (a CLI) which sits on the operating system and allows you to communicate with it in a language both you and your computer can easily understand. The same goes with a GUI, except a GUI is (obviously) not text-based. Command line is more powerful because, with a GUI where you get a few buttons that do a few things, with command line you get a myriad of commands at your disposal so you won't have to be restricted by what buttons and interaction a GUI can support.

Beans

thanks everyone for your replies.sorry about the misconceptions about linux.i've been using windows all my life and its been a month since i have given ubuntu a try.i guess i still have lot to learn but now im convinced that this is much better than windows.thanks especially to those who provided links for information regarding the terminal.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by fr33c0untry View Post
    what about doing tasks like cleaning registry ,deleting unwanted files like one would do using ccleaner on windows.or are there utilities for maintainance
    Linux is not Windows

That said, ubuntu does not have a registry, and the Temp folder is cleared on boot so most temperory files are cleared as well. Of course, as zombifier mentioned above, you can use bleachbit, but I have found in general that Ubuntu does not have a high amount of temporory files to begin with

Generally, Ubuntu does not need any maintenance, other than installing the updates that the Update Manager offers.
    Last edited by sandyd; November 11th, 2012 at 08:58 AM.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast