Thread: logs for snort and base dont show

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

logs for snort and base dont show

At the outset I would like to state that as recommended I did try starting this thread in the Security forum. But was restricted, but anyway that is not the point.

I tried setting up the IDS via bodhi zazen post, then did my own R&D. It turns out I am facing a problem with the log file for snort.

When I installed snort it was snort pgsl that was installed as per the post by bodhi.

I installed it this way.

sudo apt-get install postgresql
    sudo apt-get install -y apache2 php5 php-pear php5-gd php5-adodb php5-pgsql libphp-adodb snort-pgsql

2 separate commands.

Now then the error I see is:

ERROR: log_tcpdump: Failed to open log file "/var/log/snort/tcpdump.log.1348993619": No such file or directory
    Fatal Error, Quitting..

when I type sudo snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf

But...

When I try sudo snort -c /etc/snort/snort.conf -T
    as per bodhis' post things are alright.

My question is why does the command not work without the -T at the end?

Also I edited "ipvar HOME_NET any" as when I used the search function it did not show "var HOME_NET any" I even looked everywhere in snort.conf and it is not there. This means the snort config file is pre-configured for ipv6?

I must admit that I have not set up the Snort Rules and Oinkmaster yet. But this should not be linked to getting a log file from snort with present rules.

Another thing is that there is a pgsl folder under /var/log/pgsl but the folder rquired for snort log /var/log/snort is not there.

That is what the error ideally states. Should I make the folder and in the first place isnt it already supposed to be there or is snort supposed to log to /var/log/pgsl.

I am also checking the snort manual. But any directions and guidance will surely help.
    Last edited by isa.dsouza; September 30th, 2012 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
    Isa Dsouza
    facebook.com/thecrystalclearcontent
    Sell Out—Never; Sold Out—Always!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: logs for snort and base dont show

I have removed snort, postgresql, php and apache. I can still see some folders i /etc folder for postgresql. How can I get rid of it?

I have removed the applications from synaptic and selected mark for complete removal.
    Isa Dsouza

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: logs for snort and base dont show

Seems to me that the tutorial I followed did not help much. There is some intrusion as firefox really does not work like it should.

I posted in this thread as well about problems with logging in to my ISP on their login page.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1711500

Firefox doesnt open the last session on reload inspite of selecting it. Freezes a lot as well. Clam AV doesnt pick up any intrusion except for cache.
    Isa Dsouza