Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: world of warcraft on ubuntu

Beans

world of warcraft on ubuntu

hey guys i am switching to ubuntu cause i like it alot better than windows but i am having trouble starting up wow. I copied my game from windows to ubuntu and tried starting it up the launcher with wine but when i do it says updating setup files then like 2 min later it says missing agent try again later blah blah blah. so then i try playing through wow.exe but then i get "wow is updating setup files for core game play blah blah blah" or something like that. anyone know how to fix this.

Beans

Re: world of warcraft on ubuntu

update i tried it through the launcher again and it got through updating launcher but now the launcher actually shows and says "failed to write required file. Please close all other applications, temporarily deactivate your anti-virus software, and try again". The funny thing is i dont have any anti virus installed. and the only thing running in the background is google crome.

Beans

It sounds like wine is having trouble accessing your partition. The anti-virus bit is just a suggestion they give because the program doesn't know what exactly is preventing it from accessing the files. Are your able to run other files in wine? Maybe try a text editor and save a text file to test whether wine can write to the partition, if not that can help tell us where to look for the problem.

Beans

should i use wine notepad to test?

Beans

Yes, that should be sufficient.

Beans

seems to work fine. i can open wine notepad just fine but i cant seem to save. when i click save it just goes into the folder i want to save it in.

Beans

Then your issue is wine not wow. Maybe check for an update for wine in your package manager.

Beans

how can you decide that so quickly?

Beans

Because two separate programs have issues saving files. The issue should lie in the common ground between them, ie: wine. It sounds like wine cannot write to the partition. It could be a permissions issue. Are you running wine with sudo?

Beans

idk wgat sudo is. this is a fresh install. all i have is wine and samba.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast