Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: world of warcraft on ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: world of warcraft on ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Aarbron View Post
    Hi,

So if you guys are able to grt the Launcher rubbing, this means automatic updates? I've recently gotten back into Linux and installed 12.04 on another HDD in my Winbox. Are updates still a point of major contention, and will need to drag the updated Windows version across to Ubuntu?

Also, do oyu guys have problems with viewing your character on the map (when pressing 'M')? Are you able to preview your character when attempting to preview an item?
    The Wow launcher / updater has been running on wine since at least mop launch. Make sure you are using latest version from the PPA if you are having problems.

The character preview and map problem is a Blizzard bug with opengl mode they refused to fix. There is a work around for the map by using an addon. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6712862205

Or you can take the performance hit and run using d3d9.
    Dell Latitude D630 - 4GB RAM - 128GB SSD - Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M - Intel 4965 wireless - DVD/CDRW - bluetooth - fingerprint reader

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak42 View Post
    The Wow launcher / updater has been running on wine since at least mop launch. Make sure you are using latest version from the PPA if you are having problems.

The character preview and map problem is a Blizzard bug with opengl mode they refused to fix. There is a work around for the map by using an addon. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6712862205

Or you can take the performance hit and run using d3d9.
    Hi Tweak42,

Wow, thanks! I'll look into the launcher issue tonight! I'll also check out that workaround, too!

Spewing about the general opengl issue, however. When playing in Ubuntu, the sound (I do have a Xonar Essence STX and Audioengine A5's mind) is simply sensational. Hearing the water, POHHHHHHHHHHH!

Unfortunately, when I first installed, d3 was causing black artefacts all over the screen (nvidia 550).

But, thanks for the heads up!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nilladar View Post
    It is best to run WoW using wine1.5.
    Thank you! I had been looking for a few days now on this fix. I wiped my disk and put Ubuntu 12.04 on and was having trouble getting the new WoW expansion to run. I did a sudo apt-get install wine and got wine 1.4. I added the repositories another poster listed and I'm now installing!

From Terminal I did:

1. Start Agent.exe
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/users/Public/Application\ Data/Battle.net/Agent
    wine Agent.exe ( I think I also did --nohttpauth & )

2. Start installer.
    wine setup.exe ( I renamed )

Much appreciated everyone!
    Now on to fixing it if the GFX are messed up....

Beans

Try Play On Linux.

Here is a tutorial on how to install WoW on PoL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpNj...2&feature=plcp
    Last edited by donaldhall; November 27th, 2012 at 02:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
    POL isn't needed for WoW.
    At all
    Ever

WoW installs, runs, and updates in wine.

Added layers of complexity just adds that much more that can "go wrong"
    Running wine/WoW on a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+(2.6GHz)w/4GB DDRII(667) and a NV9600GSO w/768MB DDRIII.

Beans

Since my previous post I have gotten WoW to work perfectly without Play on Linux using Wine 1.5 ( the Beta ; 1.4 didn't work. ) . I just finished building another computer and put Ubuntu 12.04 on it and goin' for round 2. I ended up finding all the clues/pieces scattered around. I ended up needing the registry fix on the WoW Ubuntu page and setting it to OpenGL etc. On my laptop I had to play WoW windowed or else when I quit part of my desktop was cut off and had to reboot. No biggie. We'll see how it goes this time, now that I've done it once xD

Beans

For anyone interested I have installed WoW on another machine running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and this time installing with Wine1.5 I didn't even have to start the Agent.exe separately. I just ran the setup with Wine and installed. Then once again I just got a black screen and copying config.wtf over from a Windows machine solved everything. Both times I needed my config.wtf file from my Windows 7 computer. Maybe somewhere online you can find the default values for the file as this seemed to be the root of a lot of problems. Then I just set the graphics from Direct X to OpenGL.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123