Thread: Cannot Login

Beans

Cannot Login

New install of 12.04.1 and the user established during install cannot login.

I was able to create an new user by entering the system as guest. Ubuntu accepted the sudo password of the first user to establish the new user; but I cannot login as the user established during install. The newly created user does have admin permission and I can login using that user and do sudo stuff.

What happens when I try to login as the user established during install is some text flashes on the screen so fast I cannot read it and then I'm returned to the login screen.

I am dual booting with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and 12.04 LTS. Both of those share the same /home mount point and the user established in 12.04 has th esame credentials as a user on 10.04 - which works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Cannot Login

If the user name is the same as a user in 10.04, my guess is that some gnome files are conflicting - I suggest creating a clean home folder for the user

Beans

Thanks, I suspect you are right. I've been doing some reading and have convinced my self that sharing /home between versions of Ubuntu was not a good idea.

I think I will reinstall 12.04.1 and keep the /home directory in the Ubuntu install partition. I will report back with results.

Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

By the way, you should know that 10.04 is built on Gnome 2 and 12.04 is built on Gnome 3. So there would be conflicts between the different configuration files of both 10.04 and 12.04.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Well re-installing 12.04.1 LTS and not trying to use the same /home partition used by 10.04 resolved the login problem.

I now need to decide how I want to establish a location for user account data files; probalby a user partition with symbolic links in each user's home directory. I have small partitons for Ubuntu versions, inadequate to hold user data files.

Thanks, I will mark the original post solved.
    Jim