Thread: 12.04 will not let me log in

Beans

12.04 will not let me log in

I went through the process of changing my username on root and after rebooting, my user name was still the same.
    I then went back on root and changed the home folder name with the -md /home/newuser command
    Then after rebooting again, it still had my old name and now on top of that, it bumbs me back to lighDM after entering my password
    I tried loging in manually, by entering my new username and it's still the same result

I'll settle for being able to log into my account alone, but if anyone can also help me to change the name at the topright to my current username I'd be thankfull

Beans

Re: 12.04 will not let me log in

Also note that I haven't updated
    I tried doing this from the login menue ctrl+alt+f1 and the update was unsually short, then I did sudo new-release-upgrade (w/e the command is) and it said there were no upgrades
    LightDM also still says I'm in 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi welcome to the forum.

This link might be of use with the password.
    http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

As for upgrading to a newer version a clean install is usually the preferred method as this avoids many conflicts with various file versions. Most upgrades go through with no issues, some do not.

If you really want to upgrade to a newer version the recommended way is open the Software Centre. Go to the Edit menu and select Software Sources.

In the updates tab at the bottom of the window is 'Notify me of a new Ubuntu version. In that box select 'any new version'. Close out of that.

Now open a terminal using Ctrl+Alt+T and run in this order
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    The first command updates the repositories

The second upgrades the existing installation

The third gives you the newer version (in this case 12.10)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

A correction here.

The command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    will not upgrade to a newer version of Ubuntu. It will upgrade the state of current packages and resolve (handle more "smart") the dependencies so none of packages will held back.
    Code:
    man apt-get
    for more info.

The command to upgrade to a newer release of Ubuntu through terminal is
    Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    Also see here some advices in order to upgrade as "painlessly" as possible.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/20330.../203302#203302

Thanks

Beans

The main thing is that I can't log in, and there's no problems with the password. Like I said it just bumps be back into lightDM (after the screen goes black, like it usually does when I get logged in)
    Or are you guys saying that an update will allow me to log in?

I have to work around the house for a few more hours and I'll try simply updating it when I get back, if that's the case

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    [code]sudo do-release-upgrade[/code]Also see here some advices in order to upgrade as "painlessly" as possible.

Thanks
    Like I mentioned I tried the sudo do-release-upgrade, and it said there was nothing to upgrade
    But like i said this isn't the main problem

Anyway I'll try in a bit

Beans

Ok so "sudo apt-get update" tells me there was something wrong with the signature and I basically still "have the same files"
    "sudo do-release-upgrade" tells me that there are no new releases available (I forget the exact words)

I've seen something about replacing LightDM with the older version so I might try that
    Again the main problem is that I can't log in to my account and the account available doesn't even have the new username

Any help is greatly appreciated

Beans

I'm having a hard time understanding what you did exactly, but it sounds like you may now have a mismatch between the owner name and/or UID of the home dir compared to the name / UID of the account i.e.

Code:
    $ ls -l /home/username
    versus
    Code:
    $ id username

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    I'm having a hard time understanding what you did exactly, but it sounds like you may now have a mismatch between the owner name and/or UID of the home dir compared to the name / UID of the account i.e.

Code:
    $ ls -l /home/username
    versus
    Code:
    $ id username
    I used
    Code:
     usermod -m -d /home/newname -lnewname oldname
    It changed the username, but not the displayed name (the one you see at log in and on the top left)
    Then I did
    Code:
     usermod -md /home/username
    And it would let me log in at all

I now ubdated via root and logged in, but it still has my old name displayed while showing me my new name in the terminal
    The main thing I wanted in the first place was just a new display name

How do I achieve this?

Beans

I realized the problem
    The gid and groups are set to my old username

How do I change this?