Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memory usage on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 64 bits

Beans

Memory usage on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 64 bits

Hello,

I am running my ubuntu desktop 12.04 to host 1 site on it. The machine is good, but i have a little problem.
    PC Specs:
    CPU: MD FX-6200 /3.8G/X6/BOX AM3+
    RAM: 8GB DDR III 1333Mhz

When i check my ram usage i got this:
    Code:
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          7970       6907       1062          0         38       6039
    -/+ buffers/cache:        830       7139
    Swap:         8173          0       8173
    and something the server use all 8 GB ram and the site stop work. Any ideas from where come the problem and i can't understand what is really memory usage Mem or +/-buffers/cache, because the difference is big.

Thanks !
    Last edited by CharlesA; November 12th, 2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: code tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Memory usage on Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 64 bits

you have nearly 7 GB's free, install htop, it'll show you more clearly.

you subtract buffers and cache to find how much ram is free.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

Okay thanks, but then why the site stop work when the first line use all memory ? I restart apache and mysql server and the pc still use 6.5 GB ram ? Is there a way to increase it or from where can come the problem. Thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I doubt it's your ram, since you have a ton of free ram.

Check your logs to see if there are any clues in there (when they stop working)
    (I'm just guessing at which logs might be useful, I am neither an apache or a mysql server expert and am just trying help you get some useful info in your thread)
    Code:
    tail /var/log/apache2/error.log
    I'm not sure what mysql's log would be called but it should be somewhere under /var/log
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Beans

When you run the "free" command the second line shows you how much RAM is used and how much is free. You have 7GB of free memory, so your RAM isn't full. The problem with your web server is probably unrelated to memory.

Maybe you're getting a lot of connection attempts? Is it possible the server is still running and is just backed up and slow to respond?

Beans

I don't think that the problem comes from apache or mysql I restart both and when i type:
    free -m, the first line show used: 6500 free 1500. What is this and the second line show about 1 use and 7 free.

Thnaks !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Maybe this helps you understand how it works: Help! Linux ate my RAM

And please, use code tags when posting code and results so formatting is maintained.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

Thanks, I read it, but i don't understand why the site stop work when the firs line use all my memory, but actually it use 1 gb ram of 8 gb.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Neither do we First of all it's totally not clear what you mean by 'stop work'. No access? Slow? Corrupted data? What type of site? Some static html pages? Dynamic content with a database behind it? Which database (mysql or something else)? Which webserver (apache or something else)? Have you coded your site yourself from scratch (not really applicable if it's a static site)?

What does top say? Any process that use extreme processing power? You can sort the processes by CPU usage by pressing capital P and by memory usage by pressing capital M.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Wim Sturkenboom View Post
    Neither do we First of all it's totally not clear what you mean by 'stop work'. No access? Slow? Corrupted data? What type of site? Some static html pages? Dynamic content with a database behind it? Which database (mysql or something else)? Which webserver (apache or something else)? Have you coded your site yourself from scratch (not really applicable if it's a static site)?

What does top say? Any process that use extreme processing power? You can sort the processes by CPU usage by pressing capital P and by memory usage by pressing capital M.
    What he said ^.

Also check the apache error log, like jerome mentioned. That will help you narrow down what it going on.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast