Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Office software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Office software

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    The 2012 Softmaker Office Suite is a vast improvement over 2010 (in terms of MS Office compatibility) but I didn't update to 2012 and I've uninstalled 2010. My main gripe is that there's no auto-correct and it's lacking some basic refinements - like the ability to adjust the vertical toolbar using, well, the vertical toolbar. One has to do it through the menu. Still, you can test drive it and see what you think.

Anyone else have any feedback on Softmaker? I'm curious about it.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by azangru View Post
    Open in xml and save in the old Office format then?
    That's exactly what I have done for my own personal files.

I do that because on one computer, I use LO, and on another computer I have to use MSO.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Export to pdf or odf then (MSO can open odf now or so they say). I can see the need to open MS documents but I don't know why you would want to save in MS formats which is closed, incompatible to anything else including maybe even other versions of MSO.
    For one thing, once you export to pdf, you can't edit it anymore.

But why would someone want to save in an MS format? Because most of the rest of the world uses MS Office. If I only cared about myself, odf would be fine. But anyone who ever wants to share with most other people actually needs MS formats.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

For one thing, once you export to pdf, you can't edit it anymore.

But why would someone want to save in an MS format? Because most of the rest of the world uses MS Office. If I only cared about myself, odf would be fine. But anyone who ever wants to share with most other people actually needs MS formats.
    Then save in MSO 2003, everyone with MSO should be able to open and edit them.Why go to an even more restricted format unnecessarily and then complain that LO doesn't have good compatibility? It is not really LO's responsibility to be compatible with MircoSoft's closed formats.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterGaribaldi View Post
    Meh. None of these apps is as good as MS Word, I hate to say, both in terms of doing research papers for college or for document and formatting compatibility. I hope that, one day, this will not be the case anymore.
    I've just completed a degree and am now doing honours and have used ONLY Open/Libreoffice throughout with the Zotero plugin for references (that's nearly six years now). Problem free. I can do everything I ever did in Word/Office. Suits my purposes but perhaps not for everyone's.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 13th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

wife wrote an e-book in old ms word 2003. we then moved it into libre since it has better support for certain things (for example PDF export made a much smaller file). at firts we considered moving it to word 2007 or 2010, but libre was a better choice.

anyway...

KOffice branched of into what is now Caligra suite. http://www.calligra-suite.org/
    Caligra still has issues with some spreadsheets and its database, but development is going fast, bugs are being patched. interface is a bit different than libre and is ment to be more simplistic and show/use functions most users need.

there was a review in Distrowacth - but they fixed quite a few things since then and some new stuff added: http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120430

edit: there is also web based office software: such as Office 365 and Google Docs/Drive/Office whatever
    Last edited by mastablasta; November 13th, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    And the other problem is that MS Word refuses to translate ODF documents correctly, even though it is perfectly capable of being able to.

The attitude that created the Word Perfect and Netscape sabotage has not yet disappeared.
    I fear that's part of MS' DNA. It's rather humorous though that MSO file formats have problems between recent issues but WordPerfect files more recent than 6.0 (I think) can switch between versions with NO issues provided a feature is supported in a given version. It's a good thing the technically superior products always triumph. Not that WordPerfect doesn't have its issues (Unicode support, for one). But I suspect if 5% of the R&D $ that have gone into MSWord had gone into WordPerfect and MS were honest, the word processor landscape might be different.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    But I suspect if 5% of the R&D $ that have gone into MSWord had gone into WordPerfect and MS were honest, the word processor landscape might be different.
    I believe that if large corporations hadn't had a stranglehold on technology hard/software for the past decades the whole landscape would be different, period!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    I believe that if large corporations hadn't had a stranglehold on technology hard/software for the past decades the whole landscape would be different, period!
    That's probably true. Do you remember when MS Office was given away for free when you bought Windows? Free, even if it's less than perfect is pretty compelling and a good way to build a user base. Plus, the O.S. and office suite were from the same company so there were less finger pointing opportunities when things made smoking holes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe that they were unbundled because of competitor's in the Office marketplace brought suit for anti-competitive practices. The same as Netscape did when IE was bundled with Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Then save in MSO 2003, everyone with MSO should be able to open and edit them.Why go to an even more restricted format unnecessarily and then complain that LO doesn't have good compatibility? It is not really LO's responsibility to be compatible with MircoSoft's closed formats.
    I had lots of compatibility issues between LibreImpress and Power Point. No later than last week, I saved my lecture in odt format at home, then opened it at work for the lecture with Power Point and 3/4th of the slides did not show up...Exporting as PDF works fine, but no editing is a huge problem when you are involved in a collaborative process.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast