Thread: Setting up RAID on Bonobo Extreme

Beans

Setting up RAID on Bonobo Extreme

I just got my Bonobo Extreme delivered a couple of hours ago.

Because this is a work machine, they asked me to enable RAID and mirror the 2 750GB drives that we had put in the machine.

Once I mirrored the drives, it wiped all data on the machine.

Can I install just plain ole Ubuntu 12.10 or is there a System76 specific disc I should use for the install?

Thank you,

Ben

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Setting up RAID on Bonobo Extreme

Quote Originally Posted by bdensmore View Post
    I just got my Bonobo Extreme delivered a couple of hours ago.

Because this is a work machine, they asked me to enable RAID and mirror the 2 750GB drives that we had put in the machine.

Once I mirrored the drives, it wiped all data on the machine.

Can I install just plain ole Ubuntu 12.10 or is there a System76 specific disc I should use for the install?

Thank you,

Ben
    You should use a plain Ubuntu disk, then use the System76 Driver available here.

Our full restore instructions are available on our knowledge base, here: http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Restoring_Your_System

I should also point out that we don't officially support RAID on the Bonobo, since you have to use a software RAID.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Thank you for the info.

Are you saying I need to do additional steps for RAID other than using the utility that set up the RAID mirroring or saying you don't support it because of that utility?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bdensmore View Post
    Thank you for the info.

Are you saying I need to do additional steps for RAID other than using the utility that set up the RAID mirroring or saying you don't support it because of that utility?
    No, we don't support software RAID setups because they're highly unstable and likely to cause data loss, compared to hardware RAID setups. They don't meet our quality standards. The System76 Driver won't change your RAID at all, and it should work just fine with the RAID. We just don't do any testing on it, and don't recommend that configuration.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!