Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabayon vs ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Sabayon vs ubuntu

Wondering if someone has experience with both Sabayon and ubuntu and what
    their thoughts are about which one they prefer. I tried sabayon/gnome but had a
    lot of bugs with the download, so i am now waiting for an install CD, actually two.
    One with Sabayon Mate the other with KDE.
    My only other experience with linux has been ubuntu 12.04/unity. although i do have install CD's coming for that as well, one xubuntu and kubuntu,
    Mainly i wanted to try out the different DE's without modifying ubuntu 12.04.

My understanding is that kubuntu is ubuntu with the K desktop, correct me if i am
    wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Sabayon vs ubuntu

I had Sabayon XFCE installed on one of my machines couple of time ago. I liked the rolling release model, but it is not as good as that of Archlinux, which I am also using. Also, some software packages are quite old and the update process is really slow, even if you are using binary packages.

My understanding is that kubuntu is ubuntu with the K desktop, correct me if i am
    wrong.
    xbuntu = Ubuntu with x desktop environment

Meaning, all variants share the same base.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post

xbuntu = Ubuntu with x desktop environment

Meaning, all variants share the same base.
    Thank you for the input, i will look into Archlinux. I am curious about the
    quote though, with sharing the same base, how similar/ disimilar are they in function ?

Beans

I have used sabayon on and off for years, I usually go until an update breaks my system (sometimes often). I prefer Ubuntu.

IMHO it's like this:
    Xubuntu: For a light and minimal desktop. (Medium resources), Uses XFCE on top of the Ubuntu base

Lubuntu: Light and minimal desktop (Low resources). Uses LXDE "Light X Desktop Environment" on top of Ubuntu base

Ubuntu: Med to High Resources. Unity interface

Kubuntu: High resources. Uses KDE "K" desktop environment on top of ubuntu.
    Last edited by Dlambert; November 10th, 2012 at 06:13 PM.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by offgridguy View Post
    Thank you for the input, i will look into Archlinux. I am curious about the
    quote though, with sharing the same base, how similar/ disimilar are they in function ?
    I would try manjaro linux. Because it's arch, but without all the work required to set arch up. (No GUI on first boot)

http://www.manjaro.org

And in terms of Ubuntu, they all perform the same ways, they just look different.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I have used sabayon on and off for years, I usually go until an update breaks my system (sometimes often). I prefer Ubuntu. IMHO it's like this: Xubuntu: For a light and minimal desktop. (Medium resources), Lubuntu: Light and minal desktop (Low resources). Ubuntu: Med to High Resources. Kubuntu: High resources.
    Thanks for the reply, So I am not the only one who finds an update can do more harm than good. I have noticed quite a few members mention they don't update but just install the
    new release.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    I would try manjaro linux. Because it's arch, but without all the work required to set arch up. (No GUI on first boot)

http://www.manjaro.org

And in terms of Ubuntu, they all perform the same ways, they just look different.
    Thank you for the info and the url.

Beans

Thank you for the info and the url.
    No problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for the reply, So I am not the only one who finds an update can do more harm than good. I have noticed quite a few members mention they don't update but just install the
    new release.
    Don't get me wrong, but if you think updates are a bad thing, don't look at distributions such as Archlinux or Sabayon. Basically, they are updating continously and often, so you better know your system well in case something goes wrong. On Archlinux I found this to be easier than on Sabayon, because you build the system from ground up. Thats exactly why I object distros such as Manjaro, because if something breaks you first have to find out what the developers have configured, which is usually not documented. On Arch, everything thats on the system has been installed and configured by me, so I usually know where to look at.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    Don't get me wrong, but if you think updates are a bad thing, don't look at distributions such as Archlinux or Sabayon. Basically, they are updating continously and often, so you better know your system well in case something goes wrong. On Archlinux I found this to be easier than on Sabayon, because you build the system from ground up. Thats exactly why I object distros such as Manjaro, because if something breaks you first have to find out what the developers have configured, which is usually not documented. On Arch, everything thats on the system has been installed and configured by me, so I usually know where to look at.
    But arch does have a steep learning curve, most people just can't do it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast