Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sabayon vs ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Sabayon vs ubuntu

Comparing the AUR in Arch and the PPAs in Ubuntu --- these aren't exactly equivalent. The AUR scripts -- while they do sometimes break and need manually editing, once you do this a few times you can usually get the hang of it. In fact there is a very good wiki on how to make AUR pkgbuild scripts from scratch. PPAs on the other hand -- how do you edit these if the package maintainer is lazy or stops supporting newer builds. AUR scripts are usually just scripts that automate the downloading and building of files from git, or other such sources. I'm just throwing this not so similar comparison out there.

I've never used portage but I'd love to sometime -- in fact I really don't know a lot about it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Comparing the AUR in Arch and the PPAs in Ubuntu --- these aren't exactly equivalent. The AUR scripts -- while they do sometimes break and need manually editing, once you do this a few times you can usually get the hang of it. In fact there is a very good wiki on how to make AUR pkgbuild scripts from scratch. PPAs on the other hand -- how do you edit these if the package maintainer is lazy or stops supporting newer builds. AUR scripts are usually just scripts that automate the downloading and building of files from git, or other such sources. I'm just throwing this not so similar comparison out there.

I've never used portage but I'd love to sometime -- in fact I really don't know a lot about it.
    This is abosolutely true. Damn you guys I'm back on arch. I can't stop coming back .A pkgbuild is just a really really simple script that automates the install. For big programs though it's kinda of a pita. I'm on a netbook and compiling qbittorrent from the aur is taking for ever.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuriano View Post
    Another thing that I like is the package management entropy with equo but if you are more advance and want more customization you can choose to use Gentoo package management portage which is fully compatible with Sabayon.
    not really.
    Entropy (equo) is sabayon's main package manager while portage is rather the lower level build toolchain.
    You can break sabayon easily and severely by using portage without understanding how they correlate.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    +1

I've come across my fair share of broken pkgbuilds but they are usually easy to edit and the answer for a fix is usually found in the comments section below the pkgbuild details on AUR.

Oh, using Manjaro over here on my desktop & notebook.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345