Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sabayon vs ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Sabayon vs ubuntu

2F4U and Dlambert, i appreciate the input, thats what i'm looking for, the view from
    someone who's already been there, done that.

afterthought re; updates, i don't think they are a bad thing ,at least they shouldn't be, but it is disappointing
    to update and then find things don't work as well as they did before.
    Last edited by offgridguy; November 10th, 2012 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    But arch does have a steep learning curve, most people just can't do it.
    True, but Arch also has the best documentation I currently know of, not only for the installation process but also later when it comes to configuration. However, Arch expects that you are willing to learn and apply the knowledge. This is not a distribution that tries to make it easy for their user base. It is totally different than Ubuntu and also Sabayon, because you can download them, install and use them out of the box.
    When I installed Arch for the first time it took me a complete weekend, just because you have to read the documentation and make decisions on what to install and how to configure. But it pays off, since you get a really deep knowledge about your system and how all the parts stick together.

Beans
    Distro

afterthought re; updates, i don't think they are a bad thing ,at least they shouldn't be, but it is disappointing to update and then find things don't work as well as they did before.
    I understand your frustration but, to be honest, this is not a problem of Ubuntu alone, not even problem of Linux alone. You find this problem with any other operating system, even Windows or Mac OSX. It is expensive to do tests on updates and operating systems become increasingly complex, so testing will become even more expensive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    True, but Arch also has the best documentation I currently know of, not only for the installation process but also later when it comes to configuration. However, Arch expects that you are willing to learn and apply the knowledge. This is not a distribution that tries to make it easy for their user base. It is totally different than Ubuntu and also Sabayon, because you can download them, install and use them out of the box.
    When I installed Arch for the first time it took me a complete weekend, just because you have to read the documentation and make decisions on what to install and how to configure. But it pays off, since you get a really deep knowledge about your system and how all the parts stick together.
    This is very interesting, probably not something i want to tackle yet though. I'm still struggling with some basic stuff.

Beans

Arch took me a long night the first time. It's not for beginers in my opinion. But yes it will teach you the mosst about your system
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've had Sabayon installed since June. I've had Ubuntu installed since... 2006.

Sabayon's beautiful. I've been updating regularly (they have updates available once a week, usually Sundays). No breakage yet. But I figure it's gonna happen sooner or later. I think it's a great distro to run alongside some other more stable distro. As much as I like Sabayon, I don't think I'd use it as my only distro. (I don't worry much about Ubuntu.)

But, I also have no plans to stop using Sabayon. Seems to have one of the best KDE desktops I've seen. Packages are more up-to-date than what you see in Ubuntu, and I've found some of my favorite apps in the main repos that with Ubuntu I'd have to add a PPA to get.

Oh, and Sabayon updates take a lot longer to complete than in a distro that uses APT, like Ubuntu. They do have an interesting new package manager GUI called Rigo, but so far I've been using Entropy's equo commands instead.

Sabayon's documentation is pretty good, but there isn't as much out there as there is for Ubuntu.

Also I think that with Sabayon (as with Gentoo), you want to make sure you partition a good amount of space for / -- more than you might need for Ubuntu, seems to me.

Beans
    Distro

This is very interesting, probably not something i want to tackle yet though. I'm still struggling with some basic stuff.
    I did my first installations on a spare machine. Anyways, I would always suggest that there is a second machine available to read the documentation. Its impossible to print all the stuff you need for installation.
    Another thing is that you need a good internet connection. The installation medium is pretty small, just what is needed to get a bootable system. All the software to be installed is pulled from the repositories during install time.

Beans

I had Sabayon XFCE installed on one of my machines couple of time ago. I liked the rolling release model, but it is not as good as that of Archlinux, which I am also using.
    Sabayon is not bad, as it is based on Gentoo.

By the way, if you want, you can have an Ubuntu rolling installation. Look in my other posts. Click on my name or look here;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2079195 for example.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Sabayon is not bad, as it is based on Gentoo.

By the way, if you want, you can have an Ubuntu rolling installation. Look in my other posts. Click on my name or look here;
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2079195 for example.
    Why would I want a rolling installation, if I can have rolling release without installations or big point upgrades? You do know the difference between in-place upgrade and rolling release, do you? The thread you are mentioning is more about customizing a desktop environment in the next Ubuntu release than about a rolling release model, unless I get something wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Anyways, I would always suggest that there is a second machine available to read the documentation.
    Having a second machine available is nice regardless of the distro, IMHO. Very helpful if (like me) you like to type up notes while doing an installation. And, of course, for accessing info to help with an installation, as SF4U noted.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast