Thread: Installed kde-standard - now my login screen changed - how do I get the old one?

Beans

Installed kde-standard - now my login screen changed - how do I get the old one?

Like the title says, when I installed kde-standard it asked me whether I want gdm or kdm, so I chose kdm and then my login screen changed. How do I get my stock login screen back?

Unfortunately I cannot grab a screenshot of my current login screen, but it looks like some kind of mix between gnome-shell and stock ubuntu look...(yes I've installed gnome-shell, too)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installed kde-standard - now my login screen changed - how do I get the old one?

KDM is the login screen for KDE and you said you wanted it. What is/was your "stock login screen"? The default for Ubuntu would be LightDM, but you don't seem to have a default installation.

Beans

Re: Installed kde-standard - now my login screen changed - how do I get the old one?

this was my "stock" login screen, but I can't find a way to get it to be like that...

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In a terminal:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    then tab to lightdm and press enter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PaulW2U View Post
    In a terminal:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
    then tab to lightdm and press enter.
    I did that, but I'm still getting something like this:

There was a solution for this problem in Oneiric - there was the Simple LightDM Manager available, but not so in Precise...

I'm not sure what I did wrong - whatever choice I make in following the step you advised I get the same login screen - I know its not a major issue, but I really like the default login screen...

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by orange2k View Post
    I'm not sure what I did wrong - whatever choice I make in following the step you advised I get the same login screen - I know its not a major issue, but I really like the default login screen...
    Did you reboot or just log-out?

If you rebooted then I don't know what the problem is. If you just logged out then while logged out, switch to a tty and enter:

Code:
    sudo stop gdm
    sudo start lightdm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you uninstalled anything?
    Chances are you'll have to reinstall lightdm, then follow the reconfigure option again.
    Look in your package manager and see if lightdm is installed or not.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Now I'm getting the KDE login screen...

Anyways I'm giving up on this, and besides the KDE login screen is nice, too, so I'm sticking with it...

I'll mark this as solved...