Thread: where is the atl.ko file ?

Hybrid View

Beans

where is the atl.ko file ?

I've an Asus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard with 32bit Intel Core 2 duo. Atheros L2 & Realtek drivers are not working. I had downloaded attansicl2.tgz file & tried to move that file to /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl.ko, however I found no atl.ko files in that directory. Please help. I am completely new to any linux OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: where is the atl.ko file ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudra G View Post
    I've an Asus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard with 32bit Intel Core 2 duo. Atheros L2 & Realtek drivers are not working. I had downloaded attansicl2.tgz file & tried to move that file to /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/atl.ko, however I found no atl.ko files in that directory. Please help. I am completely new to any linux OS
    Hi,

I think you need to first extract the file to a proper location and then you have to move the file. Say you extracted the tgz in a folder say sampleFolder inside your home directory. Note that the atl.ko is the file and not a directory.

Then, do the following code
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/sampleFolder/atl.ko /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/
    Now to see the contents of the folder
    Code:
    ls /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/

Regards,
    Abhinav

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

However, you won't have an atl.ko in that directory until you compile the package for your running kernel. If you can provide us with some details, we will be glad to help. Open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    lsb_release -d
    Can you give us a link to the file you downloaded? Maybe there is a newer file or a better way.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Tanx for reply. The link is http://vitriol.ntbti.com/wp-content/...attansicl2.tgz from where I've had downloaded. I was using Windows XP to download onto my USB drive & I've had it extracted over there. And I've to use windows XP to gain access to internet. I hope you can understand my words

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Abhinav Kumar View Post
    Hi,

I think you need to first extract the file to a proper location and then you have to move the file. Say you extracted the tgz in a folder say sampleFolder inside your home directory. Note that the atl.ko is the file and not a directory.

Then, do the following code
    Code:
    sudo cp ~/sampleFolder/atl.ko /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/
    Now to see the contents of the folder
    Code:
    ls /lib/modules/3.5.0-17-generic/kernel/drivers/net/

Regards,
    Abhinav
    Thnx for reply . I've downloaded that tgz file to my USB drive using my Windows XP & have extracted on the same drive. The link is http://vitriol.ntbti.com/wp-content/...attansicl2.tgz from where I've had downloaded.

Beans
    Distro

The file included, atl2.ko was built in 2007 for who knows what kernel. It isn't going to work...no way, no how...in your shiny new 12.10 kernel. Moreover, your shiny new 12.10 kernel already includes atl2:
    Code:
    chili@LAPTOP410:~$ modinfo atl2
    filename:       /lib/modules/3.5.0-18-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/atlx/atl2.ko
    version:        2.2.3
    license:        GPL
    description:    Atheros Fast Ethernet Network Driver
    author:         Atheros Corporation <xiong.huang@atheros.com>, Chris Snook <csnook@redhat.com>
    <snip>
    Now, if you'd like to provide the requested information, we can start to troubleshoot your ethernet:
    Code:
    lspci -nn | grep 0200
    lsb_release -d
    I hope you can understand my words
    Perfectly well, thank you.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

All right then, I did what you have ask.
    ~$ lspci -nn | grep 0200 gave this :
    02:00.0 Ethernet Controller [0200]:Atheros Communications Inc. L2 Fast Ethernet [1969:2048] (rev a0)
    ~$ lsb_release -d gave this :
    ubuntu 12.10
    What do I need to do next ?

Beans
    Distro

Your device is covered by the driver atl2 which is already present in 12.10:
    $ modinfo atl2
    filename: /lib/modules/3.5.0-18-generic/kernel/drivers/net/ethernet/atheros/atlx/atl2.ko
    version: 2.2.3
    license: GPL
    description: Atheros Fast Ethernet Network Driver
    author: Atheros Corporation <xiong.huang@atheros.com>, Chris Snook <csnook@redhat.com>
    srcversion: D49F69D2C70096F9D27B745
    alias: pci:v00001969d00002048sv*sd*bc*sc*i*
    depends:
    intree: Y
    vermagic: 3.5.0-18-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
    parm: TxMemSize:Bytes of Transmit Memory (array of int)
    parm: RxMemBlock:Number of receive memory block (array of int)
    parm: MediaType:MediaType Select (array of int)
    parm: IntModTimer:Interrupt Moderator Timer (array of int)
    parm: FlashVendor:SPI Flash Vendor (array of int)
    I expect the driver is already loaded; let's check:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep atl2
    If it is not driving your device correctly, there is a reason. Let's check:
    Code:
    nm-tool
    dmesg | grep atl2