Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Issues with downloading files

Beans

Issues with downloading files

hi all, i'm a new ubuntu user and am hoping someone can help me with my issue. i have ubuntu v.12.04, 64 bit running on an asus u41sv laptop. it's installed as a dual boot with windows 7 64 bit. as far as i can tell, i have the latest ubuntu updates installed.

basically, i get errors in large files (academic files ~5-6 Gb) that i download from a server, or copy from a hard drive. once the files are downloaded, i find that text from other files on my hard drive are introduced into the downloaded/copied files. at first i thought it was a RAM issue, but i don't seem to have this issue when i download the same files using windows 7. the RAM and hard drive have also been tested by the retailers who said everything seems fine.

anyway, i'm hoping someone might be able to help on this issue. thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Issues with downloading files

Quote Originally Posted by newuser1234 View Post
    hi all, i'm a new ubuntu user and am hoping someone can help me with my issue. i have ubuntu v.12.04, 64 bit running on an asus u41sv laptop. it's installed as a dual boot with windows 7 64 bit. as far as i can tell, i have the latest ubuntu updates installed.

basically, i get errors in large files (academic files ~5-6 Gb) that i download from a server, or copy from a hard drive. once the files are downloaded, i find that text from other files on my hard drive are introduced into the downloaded/copied files. at first i thought it was a RAM issue, but i don't seem to have this issue when i download the same files using windows 7. the RAM and hard drive have also been tested by the retailers who said everything seems fine.

anyway, i'm hoping someone might be able to help on this issue. thanks in advance.
    Your issue is a bit confusing. First I'll try to isolate the unrelated things of your post. It doesn't matter whether you have dual boot or not. When booting under Ubuntu, that's the operating system that you're running.

Also, I don't understand what you mean when you say download. Are you using a browser to download files? Which browser are you using?

If you mean you're copying files from one drive (or device) to another, how are you copying the files? Are you using the commandline (cp [/path-to-file/filename] [newfilename]"? Are you using Nautilus?

Finally, you suggest this only happens with large files. It may make a difference whether you have a 32bit or 64 bit installation. Since I you mention "64 bit" in your title, I'm assuming it's a 64 bit installation. Will you verify this with:

Click - Power Icon > System Settings > Details (And tell us what you have for OS Type?

Your answer to those questions might identify the problem or bring up more questions. Since both downloading and copying files should be non-issues, the resolution should be simple.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Also, what filesystem (ext4, NTFS etc) are you saving the files on?

Beans

thanks apollo/cog, and apologies for the lack of detail/confusion.

i'm using a 64 bit ubuntu OS. the issue arises when i use either the scp command to copy the files off a server (using ethernet connection), and when i copy the files off a portable hard drive through a usb connection (either command prompt or dragging files from one directory to another in the ubuntu "windows"). actually, i'm not sure if the issue only arises with big files, but i've noticed it for the big files as i've been working on them quite intensely lately.

the hard drive is partitioned and formatted to ext4 for ubuntu. i have these issues when i copy these files directly into the ext4 formatted partition when using the ubuntu scp command . however, the files copy perfectly from the server when i'm using windows 7 and the winscp program. in windows 7, i copy the files to a ntfs partition on my hard drive that's accessible to ubuntu. i've been working on these files in ubuntu using this shared ntfs partition.

anyway, please let me know if you need any more detail/clarification. cheers!

Beans
    Distro

thanks apollo/cog, and apologies for the lack of detail/confusion.

i'm using a 64 bit ubuntu OS. the issue arises when i use either the scp command to copy the files off a server (using ethernet connection), and when i copy the files off a portable hard drive through a usb connection (either command prompt or dragging files from one directory to another in the ubuntu "windows"). actually, i'm not sure if the issue only arises with big files, but i've noticed it for the big files as i've been working on them quite intensely lately.

the hard drive is partitioned and formatted to ext4 for ubuntu. i have these issues when i copy these files directly into the ext4 formatted partition when using the ubuntu scp command . however, the files copy perfectly from the server when i'm using windows 7 and the winscp program. in windows 7, i copy the files to a ntfs partition on my hard drive that's accessible to ubuntu. i've been working on these files in ubuntu using this shared ntfs partition.

anyway, please let me know if you need any more detail/clarification. cheers!
    I would like to try to duplicate the problem. To make it easier, try starting out with a couple of small files. Give us the exact command you're using. Use the code tags to make it easy to follow. Also try the "cp" command if you're copying from a USB drive. Immediately after copying the file run the cmp command to identify what has happened (if you're copying from a usb drive).

For example:

Code:
    $ cp /mnt/usbdrive/filea ~/filea
    $ cmp /mnt/usbdrive/filea ~/filea
    After you post your "scp" examples I'll test what you're using on my computer also.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

thanks. i'm kinda new to the linux environment so i won't be too specific re. my scp command in case it's not a god thing (even though my account is password protected), but it is essentially:

scp my_user_account@server.university.edu.au:/home/my_user_account/file .

with re. to copying from my hard drive, i used the following command:

cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq .

as suggested, i then compared the two files using cmp:

laij@laij:~/temp$ cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq
    /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq differ: byte 526385153, line 8524481 is 61 1 124 T

i copied the file 5 times, and four times it was c
    orrupted (on one copy it was good). also, it's not always at the same place where the errors start (or what's introduced into the file) in the copied file.

as suggested, i then made two smaller files of the original that's on my external hard drive using the following command:

laij@laij:/media/linux/Seq/Raw_data$ head -100000 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq >shorter

laij@laij:/media/linux/Seq/Raw_data$ head -10000000 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq >short

-rw-rw-r-- 1 laij laij 6139190 Nov 4 16:33 short
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 laij laij 61316 Nov 4 16:30 shorter
    -rw------- 1 laij laij 5476503134 Jun 12 12:24 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq ===> original file

i copied and then compared both files (with their respective original on the external hard drive) 10 times and they were fine for all copies.

laij@laij:~/temp$ cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/short .
    laij@laij:~/temp$ cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/short short
    laij@laij:~/temp$ cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/shorter .
    laij@laij:~/temp$ cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/shorter shorter

Beans
    Distro

thanks. i'm kinda new to the linux environment so i won't be too specific re. my scp command in case it's not a god thing (even though my account is password protected), but it is essentially:

scp my_user_account@server.university.edu.au:/home/my_user_account/file .

with re. to copying from my hard drive, i used the following command:

cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq .

as suggested, i then compared the two files using cmp:

laij@laij:~/temp$ cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq
    /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq differ: byte 526385153, line 8524481 is 61 1 124 T

orrupted (on one copy it was good). also, it's not always at the same place where the errors start (or what's introduced into the file) in the copied file.

as suggested, i then made two smaller files of the original that's on my external hard drive using the following command:

laij@laij:/media/linux/Seq/Raw_data$ head -100000 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq >shorter

laij@laij:/media/linux/Seq/Raw_data$ head -10000000 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq >short

-rw-rw-r-- 1 laij laij 6139190 Nov 4 16:33 short
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 laij laij 61316 Nov 4 16:30 shorter
    -rw------- 1 laij laij 5476503134 Jun 12 12:24 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq ===> original file

i copied and then compared both files (with their respective original on the external hard drive) 10 times and they were fine for all copies.

laij@laij:~/temp$ cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/short .
    laij@laij:~/temp$ cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/short short
    laij@laij:~/temp$ cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/shorter .
    laij@laij:~/temp$ cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/shorter shorter

I wouldn't expect for you to include passwords for your remote machines.

I'm sorry, but it's very hard for me to make out what you have done because you didn't use code tags. That's having your commands between "[ code ]" and "[ /code ]" tags without the quotes and the spaces.

I understand your emphasis on being new, even from your first message. New isn't a big criterion. The commands will work the same for everyone. You just have to take your time with the commands and you'll soon learn.

If you try to use the code tags and have problems, we'll help you with them. You may be surprised at how quickly your messages might start to appear like an experienced user with a little effort.

If your messages are easier to read and interpret the assistance you get will be quicker and clearer. The people trying to help will often put a lot of effort in their attempts to be clear and to help. I hope you don't mind my taking the time to show you have to put some of this same effort into your description.

I'll keep studying your message trying to figure out where your problem lies. But if you don't mind and will try again to make a clearer post, it'd make it much easier for me and others to identify the problems.

Edit: I understand there is a problem somewhere. It's nice that there is some consistency so that when the problem is resolved it'll make it easier to identify.

Also, while there is a problem, I do know it's possible to download things correctly to your system, otherwise the installation would have failed. Also none of your updates would succeed.

In fact, would you mind running this quick test:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get upgrade
    Those command will verify two things. The integrability of your system's ability to download files from the Internet and that you have a fully updated OS installation.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames
    Last edited by apollothethird; November 4th, 2012 at 03:31 PM.

Beans

no worries, and thanks for the advice on code tags. i'm currently at work but will read up on code tags when i'm at home. i really appreciate your efforts.

with re. to:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    i get the following after it's printed out a list of things starting with Hit http://

Reading package lists... Done

with re. to: 

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      base-files colord gir1.2-gudev-1.0 gnome-power-manager libcolord1
      libgudev-1.0-0 libnautilus-extension1a libudev0 nautilus nautilus-data udev
    11 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1,929 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 10.2 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main base-files amd64 6.5ubuntu6.4 [69.9 kB]
    Get:2 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libudev0 amd64 175-0ubuntu9.2 [29.2 kB]
    Get:3 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libcolord1 amd64 0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1 [48.8 kB]
    Get:4 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libgudev-1.0-0 amd64 1:175-0ubuntu9.2 [14.5 kB]
    Get:5 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main colord amd64 0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1 [93.8 kB]
    Get:6 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main udev amd64 175-0ubuntu9.2 [323 kB]
    Get:7 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main gir1.2-gudev-1.0 amd64 175-0ubuntu9.2 [3,982 B]
    Get:8 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main gnome-power-manager amd64 3.4.0-0ubuntu1.1 [407 kB]
    Get:9 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libnautilus-extension1a amd64 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5 [51.3 kB]
    Get:10 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main nautilus-data all 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5 [63.4 kB]
    Get:11 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main nautilus amd64 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5 [824 kB]
    Fetched 1,929 kB in 0s (9,564 kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 279884 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace base-files 6.5ubuntu6.2 (using .../base-files_6.5ubuntu6.4_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement base-files ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for install-info ...
    Processing triggers for plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text ...
    update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
    Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ...
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-32-generic
    Setting up base-files (6.5ubuntu6.4) ...
    (Reading database ... 279885 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libudev0 175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../libudev0_175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libudev0 ...
    Preparing to replace libcolord1 0.1.16-2 (using .../libcolord1_0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libcolord1 ...
    Preparing to replace libgudev-1.0-0 1:175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../libgudev-1.0-0_1%3a175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libgudev-1.0-0 ...
    Preparing to replace colord 0.1.16-2 (using .../colord_0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement colord ...
    Preparing to replace udev 175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../udev_175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Adding 'diversion of /sbin/udevadm to /sbin/udevadm.upgrade by fake-udev'
    Unpacking replacement udev ...
    Preparing to replace gir1.2-gudev-1.0 175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../gir1.2-gudev-1.0_175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gir1.2-gudev-1.0 ...
    Preparing to replace gnome-power-manager 3.4.0-0ubuntu1 (using .../gnome-power-manager_3.4.0-0ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gnome-power-manager ...
    Preparing to replace libnautilus-extension1a 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu4 (using .../libnautilus-extension1a_1%3a3.4.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libnautilus-extension1a ...
    Preparing to replace nautilus-data 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu4 (using .../nautilus-data_1%3a3.4.2-0ubuntu5_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement nautilus-data ...
    Preparing to replace nautilus 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu4 (using .../nautilus_1%3a3.4.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement nautilus ...
    Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
    ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
    Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
    Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
    Processing triggers for menu ...
    Setting up libudev0 (175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    Setting up libcolord1 (0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Setting up libgudev-1.0-0 (1:175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    Setting up colord (0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Setting up udev (175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    udev stop/waiting
    udev start/running, process 8855
    Removing 'diversion of /sbin/udevadm to /sbin/udevadm.upgrade by fake-udev'
    Setting up gir1.2-gudev-1.0 (175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    Setting up gnome-power-manager (3.4.0-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    Setting up libnautilus-extension1a (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Setting up nautilus-data (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Setting up nautilus (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    apologies for printing it all out, but i didn't know how to sum that up or what is relevant to include.
    Last edited by The Cog; November 5th, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Added code tags for readability

Beans
    Distro

no worries, and thanks for the advice on code tags. i'm currently at work but will read up on code tags when i'm at home. i really appreciate your efforts.

with re. to:

$ sudo apt-get update
    i get the following after it's printed out a list of things starting with Hit http://

with re. to:

$ sudo apt-get upgrade

Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    base-files colord gir1.2-gudev-1.0 gnome-power-manager libcolord1
    libgudev-1.0-0 libnautilus-extension1a libudev0 nautilus nautilus-data udev
    11 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 1,929 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 10.2 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
    Get:1 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main base-files amd64 6.5ubuntu6.4 [69.9 kB]
    Get:2 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libudev0 amd64 175-0ubuntu9.2 [29.2 kB]
    Get:3 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libcolord1 amd64 0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1 [48.8 kB]
    Get:4 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libgudev-1.0-0 amd64 1:175-0ubuntu9.2 [14.5 kB]
    Get:5 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main colord amd64 0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1 [93.8 kB]
    Get:6 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main udev amd64 175-0ubuntu9.2 [323 kB]
    Get:7 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main gir1.2-gudev-1.0 amd64 175-0ubuntu9.2 [3,982 B]
    Get:8 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main gnome-power-manager amd64 3.4.0-0ubuntu1.1 [407 kB]
    Get:9 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main libnautilus-extension1a amd64 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5 [51.3 kB]
    Get:10 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main nautilus-data all 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5 [63.4 kB]
    Get:11 http://au.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ precise-updates/main nautilus amd64 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5 [824 kB]
    Fetched 1,929 kB in 0s (9,564 kB/s)
    (Reading database ... 279884 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace base-files 6.5ubuntu6.2 (using .../base-files_6.5ubuntu6.4_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement base-files ...
    Processing triggers for install-info ...
    Processing triggers for plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text ...
    Setting up base-files (6.5ubuntu6.4) ...
    (Reading database ... 279885 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace libudev0 175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../libudev0_175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libudev0 ...
    Preparing to replace libcolord1 0.1.16-2 (using .../libcolord1_0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libcolord1 ...
    Preparing to replace libgudev-1.0-0 1:175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../libgudev-1.0-0_1%3a175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libgudev-1.0-0 ...
    Preparing to replace colord 0.1.16-2 (using .../colord_0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement colord ...
    Preparing to replace udev 175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../udev_175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Adding 'diversion of /sbin/udevadm to /sbin/udevadm.upgrade by fake-udev'
    Unpacking replacement udev ...
    Preparing to replace gir1.2-gudev-1.0 175-0ubuntu9.1 (using .../gir1.2-gudev-1.0_175-0ubuntu9.2_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gir1.2-gudev-1.0 ...
    Preparing to replace gnome-power-manager 3.4.0-0ubuntu1 (using .../gnome-power-manager_3.4.0-0ubuntu1.1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement gnome-power-manager ...
    Preparing to replace libnautilus-extension1a 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu4 (using .../libnautilus-extension1a_1%3a3.4.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libnautilus-extension1a ...
    Preparing to replace nautilus-data 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu4 (using .../nautilus-data_1%3a3.4.2-0ubuntu5_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement nautilus-data ...
    Preparing to replace nautilus 1:3.4.2-0ubuntu4 (using .../nautilus_1%3a3.4.2-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement nautilus ...
    Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
    ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
    Processing triggers for libglib2.0-0 ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
    Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
    Processing triggers for gconf2 ...
    Setting up libudev0 (175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    Setting up libcolord1 (0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Setting up libgudev-1.0-0 (1:175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    Setting up colord (0.1.16-2ubuntu0.1) ...
    Setting up udev (175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    udev stop/waiting
    udev start/running, process 8855
    Removing 'diversion of /sbin/udevadm to /sbin/udevadm.upgrade by fake-udev'
    Setting up gir1.2-gudev-1.0 (175-0ubuntu9.2) ...
    Setting up gnome-power-manager (3.4.0-0ubuntu1.1) ...
    Setting up libnautilus-extension1a (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Setting up nautilus-data (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Setting up nautilus (1:3.4.2-0ubuntu5) ...
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

apologies for printing it all out, but i didn't know how to sum that up or what is relevant to include.
    When you reply to a message you have quote tags. These are tags like:

[ quote ]
    Your message here
    [ /quote ]

It's the tags you see above without the spaces. They are not performing above as quote tags because there are spaces between the words and the brackets.

Code tags are the same. Look at:

[ code ]
    Your code or text here
    [ /code ]

If I had put the brackets and words without spaces it would appear as:

Code:
    Your code or text here
    I don't blame you for preferring to read up on it, or just test it and allow me to elaborate if you're having problems. It might be clearer when you research. If you use them in your messages when you're giving code or command output it'll make your message much easier to read.

I can't tell from what you wrote in your previous message if you performed the update, then tested copying from your media and got the same results.

Did the update help at all?

Also, I know you're having problems with both "cp" and "scp". I'd recommend that you first try to get "cp" to work properly, then go to the "scp". If the "cp" (copying local files) are going to fail, it would be pretty unlikely that you'd have consistent success with other manners of transferring files.

-- L. James

--
    L. D. James
    ljames@apollo3.com
    www.apollo3.com/~ljames

Beans

ok, i think i understand code tags, so hopefully my posts will be a bit more clearer now. i'll start from post #6 :

the command (using generic names for user account and university) that i use for scp copying is:
    Code:
    $scp my_user_account@server.university.edu.au:/home/my_user_account/file .

i again used scp to copy the ~5 Gb files after installing the updates you recommended but it didn't seem to fix the problem.

with re. to copying files from my external hard drive to the hard drive on my laptop, i used the following command while i was in the laptop directory:
    Code:
    $cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq .

22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq is the file name (~5 Gb). i then compared the two files using the cmp command:

Code:
    $cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq

the output for this command was:

$/media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq differ: byte 526385153, line 8524481 is 61 1 124 T

whilst in the external hard drive directory (/media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/), i then made two smaller files of the
    22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq file using the following command:

Code:
    $head -100000 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq >shorter
    Code:
    $head -10000000 22Rv1_DHT_L1_1.fq >short
    while in my laptop directory(/home/laij), i used the following commands to copy both files (short and shorter) from my external hard drive to my laptop hard drive using:

Code:
    $cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/short .$ cp /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/shorter .

while in my laptop directory, i then compared the copied short and shorter files with the original ones on the external hard drive using:
    Code:
    $cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/short short
    Code:

$cmp -b /media/linux/Seq/Raw_data/shorter shorter

these short and shorter files copied over perfectly after 10 copies and for both the short and shorter files. cheers, and thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by newuser1234; November 5th, 2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: damn -- i stuffed up the code tags on the first attempt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast