Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrong keyboard layout

Beans

Wrong keyboard layout

Hi,

I have a UK qwerty keyboard, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to recognise the layout correctly. For example, the @ and " are switched round from how they should be.

The mysterious thing is that the keyboard layout in System Settings is absolutely correct. But in any application (chromium, terminal, nautilus) the keys come out wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks very much

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wrong keyboard layout

Did you compare the lay-out of the hardware keyboard with the lay-out presented, if you press the small keyboard icon. That small icon is found under the left box with "English (UK)" as presented by the system settings.

Maybe you have an English UK, Macintosh keyboard. You can use the + icon to check all possible UK lay-outs.
    Last edited by BertN45; November 10th, 2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, when I press the small keyboard icon I get the correct keyboard layout. My keyboard is nothing special, it is just a perfectly standard UK layout. It's the Logitech Wireless K270: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/keyboards/keyboards/7990

Beans

Anyone got any ideas?

Beans

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Beans

Thanks for the help. That should work but will take a while to implement since there's a lot of remapping to be done. I don't suppose you know what the actual root of the problem is? It seems very odd since everything appears to be set up correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If the " and @ are switched on a QWERTY keyboard it can be caused by the differences between the English (UK) keyboard and the English (USA). For example "£$% above the numerals and L:@ following the uppercase L. On my American keyboard they show as @#$% and L:"
    You don't have a missmatch between the Logon Language you are using and the Physical Keyboard Language as set in the keyboard settings?

Beans

Hi,

Yes, the differences I'm seeing are exactly UK vs USA keyboards.

In System Settings -> Language Support, it is set to English (United Kingdom), so that's OK.

I don't suppose the "Keyboard method input system" option is relevant? It's currently set to none.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well I use a K340 (Swiss French and Swiss German) wireless unifying keyboard as well as my normal USB English keyboard. if I forget to change the keyboard selection as I change keyboards the system does not know. Hence my Logitech QWERTZ will appear to be QWERTY to the system.

As a long shot you could try adding the UK keyboard again and deleting the old selection. Don't forget to use Layout Options to place the € onto the correct key. Sorry to not be more help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast