Thread: Direct cable connection between Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7 not working

Beans

Direct cable connection between Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7 not working

Hi All,

PC A is a laptop running 12.04 from an external hard drive. PC B is a Win 7 laptop running Win 7. I have an ethernet cable directly connecting them both. There's no router or ethernet hub or switch. I've spent a number of hours trying to view the Win PC from PC A. Nothing has worked. On PC A I've installed Samba, gvfs etc. On PC B I've enabled network sharing, etc.

How can I get PC A to see the files on PC B? I've spent hours googling for solutions and looking on various Ubuntu forums. Nothing has worked.

On PC A the network icon is showing 2 thick arrows pointing up and down which means something is connected.

I keep getting the errors: "Nautilus cannot handle "network" locations." and "Failed to retrieve share list from server".

Any solutions? Thanks,

Advait
    12.04 on external usb hard drive. Acer Aspire 5732Z, 4GB RAM, Intel Dual Core T4300, 2.1 GHz. Jai Ubuntu ki jai!

Beans

Re: Direct cable connection between Ubuntu 12.04 and Win 7 not working

Have you confirmed that the ethernet cable is a "crossover" cable, not a "standard" cable? A crossover cable has some pins swapped so the devices can talk to each other; a standard cable needs a hub or router.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Have you manually set the IP Addresses on both computers? With a direct network connection there will not be a DHCP Server to assign IP Addresses.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Have you confirmed that the ethernet cable is a "crossover" cable, not a "standard" cable? A crossover cable has some pins swapped so the devices can talk to each other; a standard cable needs a hub or router.
    Ahhh... Interesting. That's probably it. I'll try to track down a crossover cable. Thanks!
    12.04 on external usb hard drive. Acer Aspire 5732Z, 4GB RAM, Intel Dual Core T4300, 2.1 GHz. Jai Ubuntu ki jai!