Thread: Definitely, is possible to switch between VGA on acer 3820tg?

Beans

Definitely, is possible to switch between VGA on acer 3820tg?

Hello,

I run for 2 years on Intel only, but now I need HDMI ...
    I tried a lot of options(search) to switch between WGA ati/intel, after 2hours i ended with X crash and i must probably reinstall OS.....

When I start with IGD turn off ATI, then ON or DDIS i get full screen of colored dots... I must restart notebook....

My question is, if it is possible to switching between ATI and Intel on acer 3820tg, or it is my last acer notebook !

I need HDMI, but i like intel vga in school, problem is that it takes a lot of time and work to switch it in bios...
    I just think that I begin to use windows and virtual linux.... but I want only linux ...

Thanks for answer,
    Jakub
    Last edited by kubco2; November 10th, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Beans

Re: Definitely, is possible to switch between VGA on acer 3820tg?

Bump

Beans

bump

Beans

Is here someone with this notebook? Or is it very old notebook to get support from developers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi,

I, and probably most of the people around, have difficulties understanding your problem. Could you please describe it more systematically a provide hardware specs of your notebook.

I'm pretty sure that than you'll get some answers/possible solutions.

Regards,
    Christo
    How do you sudo?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kubco2 View Post
    Hello,

I run for 2 years on Intel only, but now I need HDMI ...
    I tried a lot of options(search) to switch between WGA ati/intel, after 2hours i ended with X crash and i must probably reinstall OS.....

When I start with IGD turn off ATI, then ON or DDIS i get full screen of colored dots... I must restart notebook....

My question is, if it is possible to switching between ATI and Intel on acer 3820tg, or it is my last acer notebook !

I need HDMI, but i like intel vga in school, problem is that it takes a lot of time and work to switch it in bios...
    I just think that I begin to use windows and virtual linux.... but I want only linux ...

Thanks for answer,
    Jakub
    Your question is not clear . If you are facing Graphical issues . do one thing . open your system settings and then choose additional drivers . is it listing you any graphical drivers ??

can you confirm that you got proper drivers ?
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

I need HDMI and I need to be able to work for long without power supply.

Now, everytime when I need HDMI(ATI, installed ATI drivers) or long battery life(Intel), I must switch Discrete or Intel only mode in BIOS. But when I'm switching with this method, Xorg start crashing everytime I boot.... Anyway I do not want switch them in BIOS

vgaswitcheroo is option on switchable graphics ....
    another option is proprietary ATI drivers, they have switchable graphics support in linux...
    I cant get it to work on my notebook Acer aspire timelineX 3820tg in Switchable mode
    I tried clean linux with ATI 12-6,12-8,12-10
    I tried clean linux with vgaswitcheroo, without any additionals drivers installed.
    but I have no time for testing whole days (already tried 4-5clean reinstalls),
    QUESTION: therefore I ask if there is anyone with this laptop and can switch graphics without any problems.
    Acer aspire timelineX 3820tg
    cpu: intel core i5-460m
    discrete: ATI radeon 5650m

I hope now It is more clear...

Thanks
    Last edited by kubco2; November 13th, 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Beans

bump