Hi People,

Since quite some I'm having some troubles with my microphone.
My laptop has an built-in microphone, which itself just works fine (albeit the quality is.. ahum.. well.. laptop-quality ). The problem here is that volume control doesn't detect my microphone correctly all by itself. It gives me two options: "Line in" and "Internal microphone". See the attached picture. Without doing anything, this won't record any sound. To get the correct device, I need to open Audacity, where I can select a whole range of different devices (also see attachment). Once I select the correct device there, sound recording starts working fine all over the system (e.g. to use Skype I have to select the correct microphone device in Audacity). Now, the funny thing is, is that the "correct" device in Audacity changes - I simply have to do trial-and-error each time I open Audacity.

All of this is not really super problematic - I know how to get my microphone to work - but it IS time consuming and annoying. It seems quite odd to me that Audacity can change devices for the entire system?

Is there anyway to make Volume Control detect the correct device by itself, or at least have Audacity always select the correct device as per default?
I am using Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Thanks!

Screenshot from 2013-03-14 16:46:55.jpgScreenshot from 2013-03-14 16:45:57.png