Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unable to boot into win7 efi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: unable to boot into win7 efi

hi oldfred,
    yes it was executable, but didn't work, same as before.
    so i did in the meantime delete my first hdd (windows and ubuntu os),
    my home partition is on a second disk.
    made a new partitioning of the disk (sda1 500mb /boot/efi, sda2 ntfs,
    sda3 ext4 /, sda4 swap and at last 2 GB unallocated). efi install of win7 and ubuntu-gnome-remix 12.10.01 went ok. but grub otherwise only showed ubuntu not win7. installed boot-repair, run it and now grub is showing win and ubuntu in its menu and he menu-entries are working as desired.

in the unallocated space win7 put a 128MB microsoft reserved space. this is now at the end of the disk, maybe it's better to have it in the beginnining (but as long as it works, iwill touch or change nothing).

after lot of struggle and bad installs i would recommend for efi win7/ubuntu (don't know for win8) the following partition scheme sd1 300mb fat32 /boot/efi, sd2 128mb unallocated (for ms reserv., sd3 ntfs for win7, sd4 ext4 for ubuntu,sd5 swap.
    i don't know nothing about efi but it was the way it worked for me and i hope efi will get easier to handle in the future with an idiot-proof
    tutorial for people like me.

oldfred thanks a lot for your help, i appreciated it a lot.

here is my running configuration: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1351596/ p.s. i unticked in boot-repair the repair of windows-boot-files
    Last edited by pulpo69; November 11th, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: unable to boot into win7 efi

Glad you got it working.

Your partition suggestions seem to be similar to what we see in other installs, but they usually start with Windows already installed and just need to add the Linux partitions.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12