The culmination of substantial refinements and exciting new developments, Manjaro 0.8.2
is the most polished, feature-rich, and accessible release yet. Just a few of the new features provided includes support for Steam gaming, automatic desktop notifications for new system updates, and – developed exclusively for Manjaro – a user-friendly graphical interface to easily manage and maintain the system. Experienced users can also take advantage of support for new features, including the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI), B-Tree File System (btrfs), and Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) storage system.
A more detailed overview of the improvements in the 0.8.2 release is as follows:
- The default kernel series has been changed to 3.4-longterm for better upstream support
- Steam gaming is now supported (beta)
- Gnome Package Kit has been replaced with the Kalu upgrade notifier, and – exclusively for Manjaro – a user-friendly interface for pacman (the pacman-gui)
- A new Brazilian server is online (thanks, Holmes)
- Each flavour of Manjaro comes with an installation guide for beginners
- The CLI installer has been enhanced with additional language support, optional network configuration, hard disk encryption, and several bug fixes
- A 'Testing Installer' option has been added with support for new advanced features including btrfs, nilfs, luks, lvn, gpt, efi, and software-raid
- Plymouth – and its related bugs – have been removed
- Numerous bug fixes have been made, including the Resume/hibernate bugs affecting laptops (XFCE desktop)
Further information about Manjaro 0.8.2 developments can be found in our changelog
. Both 32 and 64 bit versions of Manjaro 0.8.2 are also available in the following flavours (i.e. with the following desktop environments pre-installed):
- XFCE 4.10
- KDE 4.9.2
- Gnome 3.4.2
- Cinnamon 1.6.4
Openbox and Razor-QT are also available for installation from the Official Manjaro repositories. A minimalist Net-Edition is also available without a pre-installed display manager, desktop environment, or software applications in order to build your own Manjaro system from the ground up.
Manjaro 0.8.2 is a testament to the incredible dedication, enthusiasm, and skills of every member of the Manjaro Team. It has been a real pleasure to have become a recent addition to such a fantastic team behind such a fantastic distribution. On behalf of the entire Manjaro Team themselves, it is also a genuine pleasure to be part of such an amazing and supportive community.
Community, Wiki and Documentation