Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox won't run in Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Re: Virtualbox won't run in Ubuntu 12.10

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot73 View Post
    I'm also having a similar problem.
    Doesn't sound a similar problem, not even remotely. Start a fresh thread, detailing the errors.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This fix does not seem to work for me:

jan@jan-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-generic
    [sudo] password for jan:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    build-essential is already the newest version.
    build-essential set to manually installed.
    linux-headers-generic is already the newest version.
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    dkms
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/72,8 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 348 kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    Selecting previously unselected package dkms.
    (Reading database ... 161082 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking dkms (from .../dkms_2.2.0.3-1.1ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up dkms (2.2.0.3-1.1ubuntu1) ...
    jan@jan-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    sudo: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: command not found

Where do I go from here? Can anyone help, please?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Greeff View Post
    jan@jan-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
    sudo: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: command not found

Where do I go from here? Can anyone help, please?
    Please post the exact error message you are getting when you try to run virtualbox.

If you installed VBox from Software Center, reinstalling it should automatically fix the error now that dkms is installed. It won't download the Vbox packages again if you haven't manually removed them from /var/cache/apt/archives directory.

Also, make sure you are a member of vboxusers group. You can verify that by 'groups' command -
    Code:
    groups
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

I tried to install virtualbox via these commands:

echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
    wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...racle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.2

My previous post shows the outcome which ends with "command not found"

During previous attempts to install via package manager vbox would not start. Unfortunately I did not keep the error report.

The command "groups" gives the following result: jan@jan-System-Product-Name:~$ groups
    jan adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare

Beans

echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list
    wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtu...racle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
    sudo apt-get update

During previous attempts to install via package manager vbox would not start. Unfortunately I did not keep the error report.

The command "groups" gives the following result: jan@jan-System-Product-Name:~$ groups
    jan adm cdrom sudo dip plugdev lpadmin sambashare
    The solution provided in the thread is not for all types of virtual box errors. You need to provide the actual error message you get when you run virtual box and it will better to open a new thread for your error to get a proper response from other members.

Besides the error one thing which you will need to do is to add yourself to vboxusers group
    Code:
    sudo adduser jan vboxusers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pkadeel View Post
    You need to provide the actual error message you get when you run virtual box
    Besides the error one thing which you will need to do is to add yourself to vboxusers group
    Code:
    sudo adduser jan vboxusers
    +1
    Adding yourself to vboxusers group is a must, and maybe your original problem too!

The problem with "vboxdrv" arises 'After' a kernel updgrade when kernel headers and dkms are not installed. But since you are not added to 'vboxusers' group, you were certainly not able to run VBox from the beginning. And the error message should have been something like - "You do not have permission to run VirtualBox..."

Adding yourself to the vboxusers group, using pkadeel's command above, should be all you need. Installing dkms, that you have already done, would save you from possible future errors.

Here's just an explanation of a few things (soluion, I believe, is already discussed above) -

sudo apt-get update
    Those commands^ added a repository to your software sources list and the last command downloaded & installed it just like it would from its default Software Center (only this one would be a newer version). As such, the downloaded .deb files should still be in the apt-cache (/var/cache/apt/archives directory). So it's easier to simply re-install it in case you still get some error even after adding yourself to vboxusers group.

That was the error you got while trying to run 'vboxdrv setup', while I was interested in the error you got while trying to run virtualbox itself (which should have been the 'permission' related one as I guessed above).

Code:
    During previous attempts to install via package manager vbox would not start. Unfortunately  I did not keep the error report.
    Should have been same (or similar) error, for same reason.

Remember - Error messages are windows to the heart of a problem, never overlook them. Most often, they give you a precise idea of what is causing a problem, and sometimes they even suggest you a solution too.

Hope you get it going.
    Cheers!
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Thanks varunendra.

sudo apt-get update

Previous attempts to install via package manager, vbox would not start. These error reports were received:
    Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}

I installed the extension pack, no change in result. I have added myself as user, but the error report says user must be added, when I redo add user, it says user is already added.

The following outputs were also received:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Nuwe skelm.
    Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!
    I cannot access the USB 2.0 setting to disable it.

Beans

Because the USB 2.0 controller state is part of the saved VM state, the VM cannot be started. To fix this problem, either install the 'Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack' or disable USB 2.0 support in the VM settings (VERR_NOT_FOUND).

Result Code:
    NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {db7ab4ca-2a3f-4183-9243-c1208da92392}
    This message was definately because of missing Extenssion pack and your saved VMs had usb support enabled. anyway now you have added the extenssion pack and have also added your user to vboxusers group, it should be fine.

I installed the extension pack, no change in result. I have added myself as user, but the error report says user must be added, when I redo add user, it says user is already added.

The following outputs were also received:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Nuwe skelm.
    Implementation of the USB 2.0 controller not found!
    I cannot access the USB 2.0 setting to disable it.
    [/QUOTE]
    One thing which I forgot to mention in my previous post was that you need to logout and then again login to take the effect of adding user to the group.

Beans

I installed the extension pack, no change in result. I have added myself as user, but the error report says user must be added,
    Can you post the full and exact error report ?

Also, how and from where did you install the Extension pack? They are different for different versions. From VBox's official site, the correct one for version 4.2 -
    VirtualBox 4.2.4 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack All platforms
    For a test, can you create a new, blank virtual machine and run it ?
    If possible, please also post a screenshot of the settings window of the VM in question.

Varun

Beans
    Distro

Thanks pkadeel, I found this site http://www.howopensource.com/2012/10...u-12-10-12-04/
    then deleted the duplicates, installed ext pack and ran the rest of the commands and Vbox is up and running. Hooray and praise to our King!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast