Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox won't run in Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Virtualbox won't run in Ubuntu 12.10

I have recently installed Ubuntu 12.10 as a fresh install and then installed Virtualbox 4.2.4. Initially it ran OK using previous XP VM's but then I updated Ubuntu 12.10 and now Virtualbox won't run. It seems to need vboxdrv but can't find it (nor can I).

I removed all Virtualbox references using Synaptic. I reinstalled using the .deb file - same problem. I repeated the procedure and installed from the software centre - again same problem. This is not a "guest additions" problem. Also the suggestion to use

sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

in a terminal failed as vboxdrv couldn't be found.

Ubuntu 12.10 appears to work OK with other software and Virtualbox was working OK on Ubuntu 12.04. Which is at fault - Ubuntu 12.10 or Virtualbox for 12.10? I installed Ubuntu 12.10 as a fresh copy rather than an "upgrade".

Is there a work-around? Virtualbox refuses to work in any situation - whether using a previous VM or when trying to create a new one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virtualbox won't run in Ubuntu 12.10

I am having the exact same problem. VirtualBox 4.2.4 worked fine in 12.10 then stopped working after the Ubuntu software update, same error messages. I went the extra step of uninstalling 4.2.4 and installing the older VirtualBox 4.1.18 in the Ubuntu Software center. That also failed with the same error message. Is there anyone out there that is NOT having problems with VirtualBox after this latest update?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I have 12.10 both upgrade and fresh install and VB is working perfectly.
    In an attempt to once again (I see you've tried this already but...) install VB from scratch, remove VB from your system. Find the hidden VB files and delete them (except the ones containing the VB virtual hard disk OS images).
    Run sudo apt-get update then autoremove.

Now try again to install VB from the software center.

If you've tried all these steps and still no luck I'm sorry, I can't think of anything else.
    Linux is not windows // Ubuntu (Quantal:12.10) Guide
    Use descriptive thread titles // Linux... is... not... windows // OSX... is... not... Linux

Beans

Thanks MrJMM

I'm unsure how to find "hidden files". I removed everything I could find and repeated installations. It is interesting that Virtualbox worked for you - I wonder if there is some hardware interaction going on?

I have another notebook that currently runs Mint Mate. I think I'll switch it to Ubuntu 12.10 later today and see if Virtualbox runs on it, both before and after the Ubuntu update.

I found a much earlier thread reporting a similar problem way back in time to Ubuntu 9.10 or so. It suggested that Oracle can take some time to get Virtualbox organized - perhaps they will fix this issue in due course. Or perhaps not

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

By hidden files I think he means the .virtualbox folder in your home directory when you select "Show Hidden Files" under the View menu. I tried deleting that and repeated the process of uninstalling everything virtualbox.

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*

Then I restarted just for good measure, and re-installed VB. Same error message, no change. When I reboot under Ubuntu 12.04 (installed on another partition) then VB works fine, latest updates and all. Very strange. I am running the 64 bit version of Ubuntu & VB. Maybe this is a 32 vs 64 bit issue and it is only broken for 64 bit users on 12.10.

Beans

Hi Mikesmithv

Yes it's very odd! I tried something a bit different and installed Mint Mate on this notebook and then installed the .run version of Virtualbox (for all OS). The latest version also worked well. It had some niggly issues with Internet access though (network pipe worked OK and USB worked after I modified the last line of the /etc/group file to ..:125:...) Now Virtualbox seems to be working in Mint Mate!

I am now installing Ubuntu 12.04 on another notebook and I suspect that Virtualbox, latest version, will be OK on this. If not, I'll report back. In any case it seems like Ubuntu 12.04 and Oracle may need to have a few more chats on interoperability, especially when Mint works with Virtualbox even though it is not listed by Oracle as a supported OS!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I finally found a fix. It was discussed in this link. To summarize, all I did was run these two line:

sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-generic

Hope this helps. It was a real head-scratcher!

Beans

Hi mikesmithv

Thanks for the link - I'll install Ubuntu 12.10 and give it a whirl.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mikesmithv View Post
    I finally found a fix. It was discussed in this link. To summarize, all I did was run these two line:

sudo apt-get install dkms build-essential linux-headers-generic
    Yep ! For vboxdrv problems this is the definite fix. IIRC, the error message clearly mentions this fix if you read it carefully (reinstall dkms package.... then retry).

I haven't tried 12.10 yet, but have read many posts mentioning that it doesn't contain the 'linux-headers' by default, which is causing many such problems. Apparently, the developers 'forgot' to include it in the default packages, but I can confirm it is not the first time. I also had to manually install the headers after normal kernel updates in karmik (it happened more than once). I even believed that you have to install the headers manually after each kernel upgrade. Although in recent versions (from 10.04 upto 12.04) the headers installed by default, the discrepancy seems to have resurrected in 12.10.

Not only for vboxdrv problem, the 'linux-headers' and 'dkms' are essential packages for ANY module (driver) upgrades. Make sure they are installed and updated after each fresh installation/update/upgrade.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm also having a similar problem.

I Installed Virtualbox today on a fresh Ubuntu 12.10 system.
    I copied an existing virtual machine with Windows XP from another computer, when I tried to start it it made the entire host system reboot. I made a new VM and tried to install XP again. During installation the host system reboots again.

I have tried both the version shipped with Ubuntu and the latest version with the same result.

I have also tried the fixes suggested in this thread without any success.

Edit: I tried install Ubuntu as a guest-OS and that will also make the host crash, so it is not caused by XP.
    Last edited by Bigfoot73; November 18th, 2012 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Tried with other guest OS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast