Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

Beans

Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Why dont you try to log in to your facebook account? and if you can log in, then delete it.
    I don't think you can delete a facebook if memory serves me right, I think you can only "disable" it, and you can easily "re-enable" it if you login again. I am not sure if it was re-enabled with that email tho.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Well, it will never be erased, it will only be deactivated. All your data will forever be stored at facebook servers.
    Last edited by slickymaster; November 10th, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can request it be deleted.
    https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    Not sure if I posted this in the right spot.

A couple of days ago I received an email from my old Facebook account which I deactivated about a year ago, to my old email account and the subject was "Getting back into Facebook", which if you don't know is the email facebook sends out if you enter the wrong password.

At first I thought it was a scam, but I think the email really did come from facebook because it had my real name in the email, e.g "Hi, <my name>". I don't think a random fishing email could obtain my name.

So, what do you think happened?
    Look into it through Facebook. I have been reading up on cracking FB accounts and this is a tell tale sign that someone may be trying to do that to your old account. If you log in and go to the Help selection in the drop down beside the Home button, then you can report a problem and I think there is a was to get to customer service in that menu.
    Last edited by uRock; November 10th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I don't really want to re-activate it again just to get stonewalled by fb. I had a fairly secure password on it tho, what is the worse a hacker could do with only my email address?

Beans
    Distro

I dont know why this is such a big deal. Try to log in. If you can, then either delete your account or change your password to some miserable 40 charcter mess by pounding on the keybaoard randomly. If you cant log in, request a new password, then log in and proceed as recommended above.
    Finished.
    Asking around on a Ubuntu forum for further advice is pointless.

Beans

Simple as: Someone is trying to crack your old FB account.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    I don't really want to re-activate it again just to get stonewalled by fb. I had a fairly secure password on it tho, what is the worse a hacker could do with only my email address?
    If the hacker was already on your friends list, then he/she can unlock your account and do anything he/she wants in an attempt to ruin your reputation.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro

A few other things that should be mentioned:
    1. Facebook sends automatic emails if your password has been changed. Since you havent received one of these, your password probably hasnt been changed.
    2. Facebook sends automatic emails to your previous email address if your email address has been changed. Since you havent gotten one of these, your default email on facebook hasnt been changed.
    3. Facebook sends automatic emails if you or someone else has logged into your account on a new machine. Since you havent gotten one of these, youre probably alright.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    A few other things that should be mentioned:
    1. Facebook sends automatic emails if your password has been changed. Since you havent received one of these, your password probably hasnt been changed.
    2. Facebook sends automatic emails to your previous email address if your email address has been changed. Since you havent gotten one of these, your default email on facebook hasnt been changed.
    3. Facebook sends automatic emails if you or someone else has logged into your account on a new machine. Since you havent gotten one of these, youre probably alright.
    This sounds about right.

Also, I was thinking, if I don't receive any more of these emails, is it safe they gave up with my account?

Here is what I am thinking happened:

1) The attacker learned or guessed my email address (my email address is all dictionary words and numbers)

2) Then used a bot to attempt mass logins to different accounts with the email addresses they obtained. I assume they used the most popular passwords, e.g password1, letmein, etc.

3) Then after 3 failed logins, facebook sends an email thinking I forgot my password.

The only thing is, after googling this, no one else seems to have received this email so since I am paranoid I am worried I might be being singled out. But I have never made anyone mad at me tho lol.

Does anyone know facebook's support email address (where I can talk with a human?).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast