Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    143

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Because I don't want any of my friends to see I reactivated my account, because I re-added them on my new account.

    So if I logged in temporarily and then permenatly deleted my account, how long would this take?

    I also found this:
    http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...k-attempt.html

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Beans
    1,054
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    Because I don't want any of my friends to see I reactivated my account, because I re-added them on my new account.

    So if I logged in temporarily and then permenatly deleted my account, how long would this take?

    I also found this:
    http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...k-attempt.html
    Why dont you use your new account to look at your old account. And really, does it matter if you reactivate your old account for five minutes while you clean it up or whatever? I think youre worrying far too much about this....

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    143

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Why dont you use your new account to look at your old account. And really, does it matter if you reactivate your old account for five minutes while you clean it up or whatever? I think youre worrying far too much about this....
    Well, when I deactivated it, it basically makes it disappear from facebook so there is nothing to look at.

    But I suppose I could log in for a 5 mins and delete it, but I would like to point out facebook waits 14 days to delete your account after your request (you can login within 14 days to reactivate it). So that isn't enough time for a hacker to login, right?

    So is that what you think I should do?

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    California
    Beans
    4,899
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Just throwing this out there, it's possible a hacker tried to get into your acount, it's also possible someone has an email very close to yours, and they simply accidentally typed their email wrong and tried to log in.

    With our browsers remembering everything, life can be tough when you are trying to log in at the library and you can't remember what your user name was, or am I the only one with this problem when on a public computer? I've made 20 attempts on one of my old emails before going through my usual passwords and the variations I put on them, only to realize I had the email address wrong the whole time.

    Just throwing that out there.
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

    "Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    143

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Quote Originally Posted by jerome1232 View Post
    Just throwing this out there, it's possible a hacker tried to get into your acount, it's also possible someone has an email very close to yours, and they simply accidentally typed their email wrong and tried to log in.

    With our browsers remembering everything, life can be tough when you are trying to log in at the library and you can't remember what your user name was, or am I the only one with this problem when on a public computer? I've made 20 attempts on one of my old emails before going through my usual passwords and the variations I put on them, only to realize I had the email address wrong the whole time.

    Just throwing that out there.
    That is a pretty good explanation to be honest, my email address contains 2 common dictionary words let's say "apple" and "guitar" along with a couple of numbers, so I suppose someone could have made a mistake, but I think I am gonna delete it to be safe.

    I think I need to stop being so paranoid lol.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    919
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    The other possibility, of course, is that some other account that you used the same email address for was part of a breach of whatever site the other account was with. Like if you used the same email address on a forum (not this one!) or some other thing. Post-breach, one of the first things people do with all the leaked emails is try to see if they happen to have also been used for other services with the same passwords. Because a lot of people are dumb and actually do that.

    Alternatively, it could just be Facebook sending out "please come back we want your data" messages to people with deactivated accounts.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Calif
    Beans
    1,208
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    Not sure if I posted this in the right spot.

    A couple of days ago I received an email from my old Facebook account which I deactivated about a year ago, to my old email account and the subject was "Getting back into Facebook", which if you don't know is the email facebook sends out if you enter the wrong password.

    At first I thought it was a scam, but I think the email really did come from facebook because it had my real name in the email, e.g "Hi, <my name>". I don't think a random fishing email could obtain my name.

    So, what do you think happened?
    Facebook simply wants you to reactivate the old account. This is sent automatically and it doesn't know you have another acct. It's not dire. I've rec at least one on a deactivated account that I never did use.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Central Calif
    Beans
    1,208
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    Well, when I deactivated it, it basically makes it disappear from facebook so there is nothing to look at.

    But I suppose I could log in for a 5 mins and delete it, but I would like to point out facebook waits 14 days to delete your account after your request (you can login within 14 days to reactivate it). So that isn't enough time for a hacker to login, right?

    So is that what you think I should do?
    I don't think they ever delete it. It's only deactivated, (sorta like these ubuntu accts). You can still log in and they'll welcome you back. I tried it once and I only had to click on a link in the email to get a 'Welcome Back!! opportunity.

    For instance, I still get notices of Friend Requests and I never did even use that acct. Facebook doesn't like to lose it's people.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Winchester
    Beans
    8,036
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Quote Originally Posted by critin View Post
    I don't think they ever delete it. It's only deactivated, (sorta like these ubuntu accts). You can still log in and they'll welcome you back. I tried it once and I only had to click on a link in the email to get a 'Welcome Back!! opportunity.

    For instance, I still get notices of Friend Requests and I never did even use that acct. Facebook doesn't like to lose it's people.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    You can request it be deleted.
    https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674
    They do.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

    Ubuntu 14.04 is the Ubuntu I've always wanted!

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Beans
    143

    Re: What do you guys make of this weird facebook email?

    Alright, I got another email today just like the other one. And I noticed something on the bottom: "This message was sent to <my email address> at your request".

    So someone is sitting there trying different passwords...

    I guess my only choice is to login and delete it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •