Well, it will never be erased, it will only be deactivated. All your data will forever be stored at facebook servers.
Last edited by slickymaster; November 10th, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo
You can request it be deleted.
Last edited by uRock; November 10th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Cheers & Beers,
I don't really want to re-activate it again just to get stonewalled by fb. I had a fairly secure password on it tho, what is the worse a hacker could do with only my email address?
I dont know why this is such a big deal. Try to log in. If you can, then either delete your account or change your password to some miserable 40 charcter mess by pounding on the keybaoard randomly. If you cant log in, request a new password, then log in and proceed as recommended above.
Asking around on a Ubuntu forum for further advice is pointless.
Simple as: Someone is trying to crack your old FB account.
Cheers & Beers,
A few other things that should be mentioned:
1. Facebook sends automatic emails if your password has been changed. Since you havent received one of these, your password probably hasnt been changed.
2. Facebook sends automatic emails to your previous email address if your email address has been changed. Since you havent gotten one of these, your default email on facebook hasnt been changed.
3. Facebook sends automatic emails if you or someone else has logged into your account on a new machine. Since you havent gotten one of these, youre probably alright.
Also, I was thinking, if I don't receive any more of these emails, is it safe they gave up with my account?
Here is what I am thinking happened:
1) The attacker learned or guessed my email address (my email address is all dictionary words and numbers)
2) Then used a bot to attempt mass logins to different accounts with the email addresses they obtained. I assume they used the most popular passwords, e.g password1, letmein, etc.
3) Then after 3 failed logins, facebook sends an email thinking I forgot my password.
The only thing is, after googling this, no one else seems to have received this email so since I am paranoid I am worried I might be being singled out. But I have never made anyone mad at me tho lol.
Does anyone know facebook's support email address (where I can talk with a human?).