Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu 12.10 bugs (downgrade?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: ubuntu 12.10 bugs (downgrade?)

Quote Originally Posted by pierceTN View Post
    @Anathaen

When I go to synaptic, it shows my kernel up to date.

and am probably going to do a re-install
    My suggestion, to avoid all this hassle, is to stick to a version that worked for you from the start. Even if it's an older version, but it's still supported, stick to it, until the new version has most of its bugs patched.

Do a fresh install of 12.04.1, it's LTS, you don't have to worry for several years. If everything works for you from the start, note what kernel you're using and refer to the guide I posted.

I've summarized the guide on how to do it with my current install of Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal, but it's the same for any Ubuntu version with minor differences in packages.

Summarized guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Anathaen View Post
    My suggestion, to avoid all this hassle, is to stick to a version that worked for you from the start. Even if it's an older version, but it's still supported, stick to it, until the new version has most of its bugs patched.

Do a fresh install of 12.04.1, it's LTS, you don't have to worry for several years. If everything works for you from the start, note what kernel you're using and refer to the guide I posted.

I've summarized the guide on how to do it with my current install of Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal, but it's the same for any Ubuntu version with minor differences in packages.

Summarized guide
    I actually meant "reinstall" as in installing what I had before I upgraded to 12.10, so yes, I'm going to do a fresh install of 12.04 LTS, unless it "all of the sudden" just gets better...

I actually just downloaded 12.04.1 LTS

Thanks for the help,

Pierce

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yea, I'm thinking if you were in Gnome and you upgraded to 12.10, which only has Unity, that is going to make a mess and confusion. Guess Gnome would be waiting for updated dependencies and other stuff which never come, leaving it in limbo.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U
    Yes, they did change. Unity requires 3D and OpenGL:
    Maybe check you have OpenGL and all 3D requirements installed and satisfied.

Still failing, I'd reinstall, perhaps to another partition if you can. You can use the existing /home and /swap. That way you might be able to track the progress of 12.10 on your machine and use that install as a plaything for tweaking and experimenting. You won't be in such a rush to fix 12.10 issues if you have a stable 12.04 LTS boot, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12