Thread: Remotely control a running X session on a computer behind a NAT

Beans

Remotely control a running X session on a computer behind a NAT

Hi,

I am trying to remotely control a running X session on a computer running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Here is the setup:

• A: Windows 7 64 bit machine (I also have an Arch Linux machine I can use instead, if that is easier)
    • P: Ubuntu 11.04 server (GNU/Linux 2.6.38-8-server x86_64). This machine has a public IP, and a domain that refers to it (I will call this domain P).
    • Z: Ubuntu 12.05 LTS desktop (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-27-generic x86_64). This machine is behind a NAT which I cannot configure.

I have administrative privileges on all these machines; just not the NAT between Z and the world.

The below describes the means by which I tried to achieve the above-stated objective. It is my hope that you can identify where I went wrong, or suggest to me viable alternatives.

1. Configure and start a vnc4server server on Z, following these instructions.
    2. Forward port 5902 from P to Z via a reversessh tunnel initiated from Z to P, using this command:
      Code:
      ssh -nNTR 5901:localhost:5901 myusername@P
      (I tried 5902 as well)
    3. Use vncviewer from A to connect to P:1.

This gives me an error "connect: Connection refused (10061)".

Kind regards,
    Willard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Remotely control a running X session on a computer behind a NAT

Hi Willard.

I believe that you must map forward 2 ports: 5901 and 5801 (source: Setting up Remote Desktop).

Take it with a grain of salt though, I'm not very familiar with vnc4server.

Regards.