Thread: Activity during idle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Question Activity during idle

When the PC with Ubuntu 64bit system sits at idle, one of the cores goes into 100% use, which stops immediately when I start using it again (Note: this 64bit OS is installed via WUBI).

I have two other PC's with Ubuntu 32bit systems and they just sit there, at idle, with little or no activity while they are not in use.

Whats going on? is the 64bit system engaged in maintenance or something?

Thanks for any help this forum may provide
    Last edited by mayagrafix; October 12th, 2012 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Clarify content

Beans
    Distro

Re: Activity during idle

I remember a while back there was a similar issue while running System Monitor when the PC is at idle with the CPU going off full throtle (Pentium II days, with one lonely CPU).

Do ya think this is something akin to that problem? where it turned out that there was a bug in the System Monitor software that needed tweaking?

Thanks for any help and your most valuable attention

Beans
    Distro

Re: Activity during idle

I tried to monitor the CPU activity using a Terminal (ps -A > TOP) to see if the problem is related to System Monitor, but did no get much info about core running at 100% when PC not in use. Any Ideas?

Last edited by mayagrafix; October 18th, 2012 at 12:08 AM. Reason: added scree cap for clarity

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: Activity during idle

I know you guys are bz due to the 12.10 release, so at least send up smoke signals that someday someone might answer this query.