Thread: Want to setup either tunnel or vpn server on my machine

Beans

Want to setup either tunnel or vpn server on my machine

I want to utilize my ubuntu machine to route my traffic through my home IP when I'm away from home. I've looked into this and it seems I can either just set up a tunnel or a VPN (pptp probably).

Question 1:
    What is your opinion on tunnel vs a full VPN?

If I setup a VPN I would want to restrict access to only routing traffic through the machine. I would not want the user to have any kind of permissions to my internal network nor even the ubuntu machine (aside from what's necessary).

Question 2:
    Are there any guides available for accomplishing that?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Want to setup either tunnel or vpn server on my machine

Quote Originally Posted by jasonto View Post
    I want to utilize my ubuntu machine to route my traffic through my home IP when I'm away from home. I've looked into this and it seems I can either just set up a tunnel or a VPN (pptp probably).

Question 1:
    What is your opinion on tunnel vs a full VPN?

If I setup a VPN I would want to restrict access to only routing traffic through the machine. I would not want the user to have any kind of permissions to my internal network nor even the ubuntu machine (aside from what's necessary).

Question 2:
    Are there any guides available for accomplishing that?
    I would reccomend using OpenVPN over PPTP - has higher performance

When creating a VPN, you technically create a gateway server on the host computer. As a result, with some configurations, your network is accessable when using the VPN.

You can probably create a Iptables rule like
    Code:
    iptables -A OUTPUT  -p tcp -i [name of VPN Tunnel, i.e. tun0]  -d [home router ip] -j ALLOW
    iptables -A OUTPUT  -p tcp -i [name of VPN Tunnel, i.e. tun0]  -d [your home subnet]/24 -j DROP
    To block it.

2. I don't have time to search on the net right now, but most of the ones that you will find that use TUN, and not TAP will work well. Make sure it uses push "redirect-gateway def1" in the guide.

Note: You can also use SSH Tunneling, which would be much less complicated methinks
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    I would reccomend using OpenVPN over PPTP - has higher performance
    Not to mention that PPTP is known to be an insecure protocol.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks for the replies. I know that PPTP is not absolutely secure, but I'm not too concerned about my one little VPN. I'm going to try to connect my iOS devices so my only options are PPTP, IPSec, and L2TP - which of those would you suggest?

Also, I imagine I would just want to use an SSH tunnel were I to want to use a tunnel. Are there any good guides on the net for setting one up?

Thanks again.